Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to these boards, so apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. I've looked and haven't seen this topic thread or seen it addressed elsewhere. So again, I apologize if this info is found elsewhere. I'm seriously considering buying an Evo X as a weekend car (probably no more than 7,000-8,000 miles a year, no "racing", although I do have a habit of engaging in "spirited driving" but nothing too crazy) and am trying to get a sense of what my maintenance and operating costs will be. I ask because I seem to see all kinds of differing figures and opinions on this. Everything from "Oh, your service interval will be every 5,000 miles and that's it" to figures that predict some amazing upkeep numbers that make some people's mortgages look tame. The problem is that nobody seems to do anything to explain what is the basis for their figures. Hence, it's hard for me to figure out whether their figures would really apply to me. Any insight folks can offer is very, very welcome.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
maintenance cost are very relative...it depends on what u plan to do --how much the shops in your area charge..and how often u do it.

to start i would switch every fluid u can too synthetic oil,gear,brake,coolant,blinker,washer switch to k&n or similar filter
then pretty much all u have to do is rotate and balance the tires..check the alignment and keep the air pressure set

then your only looking at twice a year for service if thats all the mileage u plan on

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
^they come synthetic from the factory. Only things that aren't are the brake fluid...

You obviously need to change the oil around every 5K - you can do the math on that one
change ALL drivetrain fluids every 15K - around $80 Just for the fluids if you go with the redline which is HIGHLY recommended
flush coolant and replace belts every 30K - $80 - $100 for parts
Brakes when you need them - $200 - $300 for a set of good pads rotors are available in the aftermarket for $400 for all 4 corners

On the new x's, you have a timing chain, and a 100k mile or 10 year powertrain warranty so you don't really have to worry about anything dealing with that, and the bumper-to-bumper warranty is 60K, BUT you can upgrade it to 100K for an extra $2k.

Sorry I don't have labor costs, but I do all my work myself, so I really don't know the going rates for all that stuff. Plus it's different in every area. I'm out in cali, so there are alot of evo performance shops around that do better work than the dealerships for cheaper than they do it for... but in your area, you might be stuck with just going to the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HMatt @ Mar 21 2010, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
^they come synthetic from the factory. Only things that aren't are the brake fluid...

You obviously need to change the oil around every 5K - you can do the math on that one
change ALL drivetrain fluids every 15K - around $80 Just for the fluids if you go with the redline which is HIGHLY recommended
flush coolant and replace belts every 30K - $80 - $100 for parts
Brakes when you need them - $200 - $300 for a set of good pads rotors are available in the aftermarket for $400 for all 4 corners

On the new x's, you have a timing chain, and a 100k mile or 10 year powertrain warranty so you don't really have to worry about anything dealing with that, and the bumper-to-bumper warranty is 60K, BUT you can upgrade it to 100K for an extra $2k.

Sorry I don't have labor costs, but I do all my work myself, so I really don't know the going rates for all that stuff. Plus it's different in every area. I'm out in cali, so there are alot of evo performance shops around that do better work than the dealerships for cheaper than they do it for... but in your area, you might be stuck with just going to the dealer.[/b]

Thanks to all for the helpful info. I bought my Evo X last week and it is probably one of the best cars I've ever owned. Maybe it is the best. It's certainly the best driving and handling car I've ever owned or driven!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts