Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm tired of replacing transmissions on my '92 mitsubishi expo LRV 1.8L (4g93). So here is my question. Will any other manual transmission bolt up to a 4g93 motor like a dodge neon or something. This car is very practical for me and economical but the tranny doesn't last long. If not I'll probably go with a civic tranny and redo the bell housing to fit. Those trannys can take a beating. Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Every Mitsubishi 4G6,4G9 engines have the same bolt patterns so take yur pick. The transmission yu have is most likelly an F5M22 . Its found in Mitsubishi Galants , Eclipse , Space Runner , Colt , Mirage , older Lancer's , Colt Vista , eagle Summit , Dodge Colt Vista , eagle Summit Wagon etc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thank you for that. I was aware of that though. My question is, is there like a dodge tranny that will bolt up to that. The thing is that stock mitsubishi trannys are weak. My eclipse tranny is starting to go too. Or which tranny is the best working one out of the 4g bolt pattern? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Honestlly i do not think they are weak. Ive never had a bit of issue with mine in all its years .Its all about service . yu can step up to an F5M33 from a Eclipse GS-T ,Galant with 2.4 DOCH , 89-92 Galant GS-T

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about stabiliser mounts for tourque. Some have it on the block and some on the tranny like mine does. How do I go around that?

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
There are 2 ways to go about it, find an F5M33 frum a 1994 Galant GS , or F5M23(which is beefier than the F5M22) frum a 1994-1997 Mitsubishi Galant , 1997-1999Eclipse Spyder with 2.4 . The bellhousing are easilly interchangeble between the 2 transmissions as with the autos are . Ive done it a few times on the autos and maybe 2 times on the manual tranny. BUt if yu rather not fool around with that just look for a Galant with the 2.4 engine and manual it will have the bellhousing bolt areas for the mounts. I tell yu we do wonders with 4G93's here , they are awsum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats awesome info. I am up to making one great tranny out of 2. Thanks for that. Now an add on to this question... Will the half shafts/axles be fine or do they need be extended or shortened etc?

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Yu can use yur originals. No longer no shorter. If yu were using yur tranny frum the Expo on per say teh Eclipse , the wheel side of the cv joint would be diff. I could be wrong , they may be the same. Galants and Eclipses use the same length and outer size joint's depending the model , Expo possibly also. The part that slides in teh tranny are all teh same. But the side of teh cv shaft that slides in the hud side are diff frum some models , as in the Mirage/Colt most likelly the Expo and Space wagon and a list of others , where the shaft slides into the hub side will be a little smaller , than that of Galant's and Eclipses. But as for using shoirter or longer , yur original CV shafts will work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the reason behind all my questions is this... I had a 93 plymouth colt 1.6L and ran that dry cause I didn't check the oil. I bought another one with a 1.8L which is the 4g93 and swapped it in. Got it to work and all. Later bought the Expo with 206k on the motor and tranny shot. Put in my motor from the colt with manual tranny with 96k on it. Drove it for a few months and tranny dead too now. Tranny is an F5M21. I had to switch to a different style fork from a older colt to be able to use the hydrolic clutch as opposed to the cable system on the colt that I had. Also with reading on forums and personal experience with my eclipse the tranny is going out too. First gear doesn't want to hold and wants to pop the shifter back out. Maybe its just my luck or are mitsubishi trannys a bit weak. Thats why I was thinking the way I am. So you say that the F5M33 is the beefiest tranny to go with for my application. If not then the second bet is to go with the F5M23? I just want it to handle a little aggressive driving and sometimes I tow a small aluminum fishing boat and its got room inside for what ever I might need to move. My point is that I don't want to change trannys every six months.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Thanks for yur explination , Yes yu see the F5M33 is designated for 2 applications in the early 90's The Turbo non AWD Galant and Eclipse/Eagle Talon and Plymoth Laser. Also it was used in the V6 model cars cause it could handle the V6 TQ and HP altho the bellhousing was diffrent for a bottom mount starter, the rest of the transmission was the same. If yu need smthin durable and beefier to handle loads the F5M33 is teh way to go , Thus F5M21 cases were a small diff , , just remember when seperating , teh area where the diffrential is sumtimes they fall out and others they dont, there is a thrust washer that sits on teh diffrential bearing on the bellhousing side of teh case when its split, most times they stay in the housing. 1 other factor also teh diffrential bearing , take notice, some are regular rollers , and a small handful of them have acorn angular bearings (look like older wheel bearings on cars with an inner and outer) . Besides that yull be fine. Last The F5M23 should be quite adiquet enough for yur application also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KiT TeUnG 2549 thanks for the great info. There is a salvage yard here in twin cities, MN where you pull your own parts and a manual tranny is 69 bucks. I have seen eclipses and galants there. I will be headed there in the next week or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts