Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I'm new here but have a 1991 MWB express van (petrol/manual/no A/C) that has developed a problem since I've installed a CD player - not sure if that has any bearing on the problem though. The park lights/tail lights, dash lights and horn are all on F3 which blows as soon as I turn the lights on. The horn works OK though if I replace the fuse and don't use the lights. I've removed all the bulbs front and rear and that doesn't make any difference, there is a solid earth on the supply side of F3 when I turn the lights on which shouldn't be there - hence blows the fuse immediately. I have a Gregory's but the wiring diagram in it sucks - has no good information and the colour codes don't match to what I have. Does anyone have a decent wiring diagram for this van or any idea where the main wiring harness plugs are so I can isolate sections of the lighting circuit to try and find the short. Also, would replacing the factory radio unit with a cheapo CD have any impact on the lighting circuit - I couldn't see anything common - only used 12V, 12V switched, earth and the two front speaker wires which I had to common to get them to work?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I've got wiring diagrams at my other place for both my 91 & 94 express vans that I found on google a while ago, have a search on google or yahoo for l300 wiring diagrams and you should be able to find something.

if not, when I head down to my other place later in the week I'll bring them back and scan the page for ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, did disconnect the CD player and fuse still blew - have a direct short to earth on the park lighting circuit.
Steve-o, thanks for the offer - I've searched google and not found anything useful - so it you can scan them it would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hey mate, I have the same problem exactly right now, spent about three hours on it so far and no luck. But I have read something else on Google about a Delcia Van just a minute ago and it sounds like the same issue, here it is:

http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.auto...3503d0dbf3f3609

It seems that what we thought was the earth is actually connected to the brightness adjuster for the dash... This is the end of my knowledge on this but hopefully it'll give someone else an idea of how to fix it. My fuse was melted to buggery and has since not blown again, which is making me think I've burnt out a wire somewhere along the line aswell. If I have any progress I'll tell you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Originally posted by 123@Jan 10 2007, 09:43 PM
It seems that what we thought was the earth is actually connected to the brightness adjuster for the dash...

actually now that you mention that, the wiring diagrams said NOT to use that black wire for the ground!

when I installed the mp3 player into my 94 van I grounded to a bolt on the frame

oh btw I should be heading down to the house friday after a photoshoot around the corner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
ok here's the diagram that I was using... the connector for the 91 that I had was only a single plug not a double like the 94

the colours should be the same from memory though, if anything check the + & - of the speakers with a AA battery

[c] - Do Not Use refers to the all black wire

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Mitsubishi-Wiring.pdf - wiring diagram

thanks to Install Doctor website www.installdr.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I had the same thing with my 94 express, when I first got it and installed a cd player, in the end, the problem was, when I checked everything with the multimeter, I mistook the illumination wire for the stock radio for the ground, took me forever to find the problem, as at the time my horn wasn't working before the fault, it took forever to even find which fuse went, and I even checked the blown fuse.... several times, and could swear that it wasn't blown each time. in the end just disconnected the illumination wire from radio, tape it up etc, pop in new fuse, and problem fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
got the exact same problem in my 92 2litre, i ended up pulling the dash out, cutting open all the looms and found a melted wire which was obviously shorting out the park lights, my solution was to run the park lights, dash lights and vent lights independantly of the switch. i put my own switch in and ran the positive wire from battery hrough a 15 amp fuse to the switch then daisy chained the lights, a bit painful but easier the stuffing around with obviously **** factory wiring. i did the same for the horn, cut the horn wire in the column and ran my own switch. i am a mechanic and this was unfortunately the easiest solution, when i tried using a higher amperage fuse in the holder, the dash lights did work however the melted wire started to smoke again, so an obvious dead short, as i said cut it out and make your own
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top