Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
The Consequences Are Dire!!! Yu should not. Yu will cause fluid rate issues. Yu cannot do this for more than one reason. Yu see , this type of transmission has a fixed transmission fluid filter internally , which is not servicable unless being rebuilt. So the external filter used on this transmission has a higher flow rate than and engine oil filter because of the already internal filter.

Using an engine oil filter as the external transmission fluid filter will cause the transmission fluid pump to work way harder than it should and cause transmission fluid temps to rise higher than should and possible premature failure to the pump or TQ converter due to the added strain and heat caused by this.

On later models of these transmissions , Mitsubishi phased out teh external filter , leaving the internal one onlee

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Again Kit,

Thanks for your reply. Ok I have just changed my External Auto Filter with the correct one. I hope not much damage to my auto tranny. hehe.

I wonder why they stop using external oil filters now??????? any ideasss????

TQTQTQ

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
As i stated earlier in the post above, Mitsubishi found the internal filter being juss as good alone by itself. So it decided to stop using the external filter and juss the one internally. As yu can see on 1998 and late 1998 and up model transmissions , Mitsubishi no longer used the external filter. Where the filter was located on older models , was a closed off passage on newer ones.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Yes i prefer 2 also , because these models i feel had more relaiability than the ones later with juss one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts