Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought my wife & kid an 07 fully loaded blk/blk XLS. We love it! It has the best mix of utility, luxury & sports.

One thing I'm noticing is that I only get between 12.8 to 13.4 gallons on a fill-up (for the past 5-6 fill ups). I'm running the car until the refuel light flashes and notice that there are about 3 pixel bars left. Does this mean that there are about 2.3 gallons in reserve? Just curious to see what others are getting. My mpg is roughly 19-20.

I'll call Mitsubishi corporate tomorrow but wanted to see what poeple in the field are getting.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I may have missed the thread.

Thanks,

John P.
Rally Innovations

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea, thats about the same for me, I usually put in about 13 gallons when the car says empty, so I assume there is 2 gallons in reserve, but I haven't tested it. As far as MPG, 20 isn't that great, I usually get about 24 average, thats about 70% highway and 30% city, and I try to be somewhat light on the throttle in city, but not always, sometimes it is nice to unleash those 220 horses. But on the highway, I often travel over 70, so I find that 24 average is pretty good overall, I am not sure why you get 20 unless you do a lot of city driving or are really hard on the petal.

Have fun in your new outie.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I just didn't want to be the only one experiencing this. I drive mostly fwy, but here in So.Cal...that may be worse that city driving! I could probably get more mpg if I did actual fwy miles and less stop & go. But I do admit, it's fun playing around with the paddles!

Overall, I couldn't be happier with it! I'm just waiting for Mitsubishi to release the cross bars.

Regards,

John P.
Rally Innovations

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your getting 20mpg consider yourself lucky i get like 14. I have noticed that using 2wd or 4wd lock instead of the standard 4wd auto helps alot.

The reserve is about 2 gallons. Ive driven mine about 45 miles with the gas light on. Havent dared go more then that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The fuel tank is 60L.. what that is on gallons I wouldn't know.

But anyway, my fuel light blinks when there is 12L left and shows empty (blinking yellow now) when there is 10L.

I'll convert this to percentages if that makes it easier... red blinking fuel light: 20% left, yellow warning no fuel light: 16%

So the light comes on fairly early... and this is not including the reserve tank space.

Leave it in 2WD mode to get the best mileage, I get around 600km+ per tank in a hilly suburb with city driving. Then again I have the 2.4L variant and drive like a grandma...

·
Registered
5 Posts
2 tanks in my new rig and i've got an avarage of 10.4/100 km out of it, which suprizes the hell outta me. i have banked on it being worse. I might also add it's the 3.0l v6 xls, the true test is coming this week as i plan on taking it on a 3k road trip. :57:

·
Registered
3 Posts
If my understanding of the MMCS is correct, on the XLS with Nav the system has 2 ways to calculate the mileage - AUTO mode and MANUAL mode. In AUTO mode it only gives the mileage from the time you started that trip (with 4-hr reset). In MANUAL mode it gives the overall from the time you filled up the tank. Those two numbers can be very different. Now if you check your mileage the old fashion way and are getting 20 mpg then you just have a lead foot :grin: .

I always double check the mileage with a calculator when filling up and it's usually right on (+/- 0.2mpg) with the MANUAL mode estimate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, MPG ain't that great....don't worry, anywhere from 19-24 about normal, depending on journey type. I leave mine in 4WD Lock all the time - don't seem to make any difference which setting you use.

The actual MPG calculator though, is completely useless IMO. It keeps resetting itself, so you can't rely on it over time. I know you can put it in manual mode to preserve the readings, but you have to do it everytime you get in the car......so obviously it's impractical. Why they couldn't have just implemented one like every other car manufacturer (that keeps a running total and doesn't reset until you do) is beyond me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts