Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I recently purchased my 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage DEluxe coupe. It came to me pretty much completely flawless. Whoever owned it before me did a whole lot of work to the actual appearance of the car. It has a lot of body work to it. Body Kit, custom paint job, spoiler, bucket seats, etc. But as far as the engine goes they did not actually do much. They did a lovely exhaust system which purrs like a dream and is very responsive. They installed a nice intake although I'm unsure of the manufacturer. They also cut off the heat shield to expose the exhaust manifold, I thought they were maybe considering installing headers.

Now I know almost nothing about fuel injected cars. My previous car was a '77 Chevy Nova and it was my baby and taught me to love a sweet 350 Carb. But due to unfortunate circumstances I was forced to purchase a new vehicle. I decided then to throw myself into the world of import tuning. So here I am today.

My original plans were to drop something of a Lancer EVO VIII FQ400 and a 6-Speed manual. After going to a local performance shop (SLS Performance) and talking with a very cool guy there he helped me decide on swapping for something much less expensive and much quicker. He suggested a 1st Gen Eclipse engine. He said that these come as a 2.0 Turbo and that I could get as much power as I would want out of it. He also said to get a 5-Speed and if I wanted 6 that I should just change out my reverse gear to get the 6th if I wanted it that badly. He said that I should get a full front clip so I have all of the sensors and everything to do the full swap.

So this is where the members of this community come in. I need several things from you. I would like for anyone to elaborate/criticize on what the guy at my local shop said. Do you think that his suggestions would be the best for a quick car? Anyone have any other reccomendations for different engines or ideas? I don't just want to throw a turbo onto my 1.8. One of my friends said that I shouldn't put anything smaller into my car than a 2.6 but the performance shop guy said that the stroke was too long for one of those and that a 2.0 properly tuned would be quicker. He mentioned some guy, I forget the name, that has the same engine in his car and it runs the quarter mile in 7 seconds, which is apparently the fastest recorded for a street legal car or something or other.

Anyway I think you all have an idea of what I'm looking for. If anyone could tell me where to purchase a front clip or if anyone is selling one I'd be very interested. Money is not an issue but the amount of downtime for my car would of course ideally be minimalized.

I'll include a few pictures so you have an idea of what I'm working with. I really do want to make my car as fast if not much faster than it looks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, i'm new here just made an acount just to tell you that the shop you took it to, speaks the truth i'm finishing off my EVo 3 build right now and i'm also using that same first gen eclipse GSX 4g63t and i'm about close to 600hp with an AWD swap and i'm still not done i got a few more things i'm waiting for from my buddy from japan. i'm waiting for my ITB's and a autronics ECU for my anti lag system also know as (misfire system). Another thing is people here are'nt that friendly to new guys is what i heard, that maybe the reason why people are slow at helping you out. Me no biggy I am rasied in F1 racing and fixing them too same in blueprinting engines, NHRA and my favorite is Rally racing. I would say I'm pretty knowledgeable, but i do not know everything. Your car looks cool but the wheels are not man, they do not fit it at all its a tuner car not a drug dealing cadilac sorry not trying to bash just my feel. but hit me up if you need info i try to point in the right direction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well,(correct me if im wrong, but) lemme start off saying that your car is an LS coupe. not DE. DEs are the 1.5l. also, only the model LS came with that spoiler. i own an LS coupe too. mine is still stock tho.

well, i think you should drop the 4g63t. its easily capable of good hp. also, i heard that theyre capable of high boost. im not too sure, but i think i read it somewhere.

well, whatever you do, pls keep us updated. good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
There are many options to getting more power for teh potential of that engine itself . The 4G93 can do wonders. But also yu would not need a full front clip . If yu are wanting to do the 4G63 Turbo mod the engine mount relocation and wiring harness and radiator /a/c compressor , alt etc for the 4G63 engine. Mirage 93-96 left hand cv shaft and 91 Mirage 4G92 Turbo right hand CV shaft , the 4G63 Turbo, downpipe , manifolds , AFM,ECU etc. NOt to mention a 4G63T in good condition or rebuilt , a switching the rear drum brakes to disc is a must for the extra power. That guy saying yu can put a 6th gear in a 5 speed tranny is impossible. Where will yu put the reverse gear and sprog? Where will the transmission magically make up the extra room for the 6th gear?Where would yu ever get the gear ? Yu cannot get it frum the F6M51/52 frum the Evolution because the transmission is on the LBD engines , and yu are converting to the older RBD 4G63T.

yeah as 2sick4ya said that is correct , the early models were capable of high boost with factory components . 88-93.5 models had beefier rods and crank combo than the later models , weve gotten 412 easilly out that in my VR-4 , but i sold teh bottom end and opted for a 4G64 bottom end later for greater low rpm TQ. BY the way , awsum looking car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts