Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Lancer OZ Rally that is either not burning fuel correctly or is seeping too much fuel and I have no idea why. So much gas is going into the engine that it's leaking through the exhaust manifold in front of the engine. The problem originated with the car not having any acceleration and stalling on occasion. I found out that both catalytic converters had been clogged so I replaced both of them for direct fit Magnaflow Cats and that helped get some acceleration back and it started stalling less frequently. Compression is at 130 PSI on all 4 cylinders. I also have no check engine light on but I know that the car is misfiring because the engine is running rich and the cat is glowing red (presumably because of the unburnt fuel) and it begins to leak through the engine head and exhaust manifold gasket.

I've already replaced the following and the issue still hasn't been corrected:
  • Both Ignition Coils and wireset
  • All spark plugs
  • Fuel regulator (three times)
  • MAP Sensor
  • MAF Sensor
  • Front ECU
  • Downstream HO2 Sensor

I seriously don't know what else to change or check. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
424 Posts
Check your fuel pressure, and see if it leaks away quickly. You might have dirty injectors that are leaking fuel out into the cylinder and into the exhaust. What ever caused your first CAT to fail is probably damaging your new one

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your fuel pressure, and see if it leaks away quickly. You might have dirty injectors that are leaking fuel out into the cylinder and into the exhaust. What ever caused your first CAT to fail is probably damaging your new one
I just replaced all 4 fuel injectors and the problem persists. I also checked the fuel pressure coming from the pump and it's at 58 PSI

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
424 Posts
And does the pressure hold at 58 or does it fall away quickly when you turn the engine off?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have way off hooking up to computer ECU diagnostics, do you have factory service manual,PDF. (I've read so many times) I have headers, might help. Im sure you Replaced injectors with same cc/ml rating stock. You sure it's fuel and not like hydrocarbons or anything else? So when it runs?, It just leaks? Or idle WOT sitting? My guess Differential absolute pressure sensor, the dumb Idle air control, and or throttle sensor thing next to it. I always just buy a new part when there's a problem some things Mitsubishi does is chintzy but then I know how to fix what was the problem later. Like they say Don't just go throwing money at the thing start with something simple go from there could be a sticky egr valve diaphragm, . Your cat is glowing so that means it's not enough fuel I thought gasoline Cools too right? Correct me if I'm wrong but gasoline also cools the engine as well are you saying gasoline is going past and leaking into your exhaust that's crazy. Just take everything apart and clean it or buy a new thing when you get mad and smash it like what I do.

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
424 Posts
No. the glowing cat is unburnt fuel burning in the cat, destroying it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts