Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i'm new here and I would like to know if anybody else has problems getting into reverse gear.
The car is a new (6 months) cz3 1.3 and i've took it back to the garage (brindleys A5 staffordshire) and they say it's a common fault and I should first put it into 1st gear then into reverse gear otherwise the gearbox "crunches"
is this true is it a common fault and i'm being too fussy over a new car?

·
Registered
499 Posts
if i remember correctly they have no synchro for reverse so you must dip the clutch for about 2-3 second before selecting reverse.failing to do so is why it will crunch when you try to engage sooner.putting it into first and then reverse allows this time delay for the gears to stop moving.either way should work effectively but there was no correction that I am aware of unless it came after I left the dealership

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, some useful tips to try.
The car was checked over last week and I was told it was ok, that the "crunch" is my fault for not selecting 1st gear first.
I can't believe that a new 2006 car doesn't have syncho on all gears, is that reallly true and nothing can be done about this?
doesn't anybody else suffer with this if there is no syncho on other cars?
sorry - yes the car is the colt 1.3 cz3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks dirty hands that's a good idea
I googled the mitsubishi syncho problem and was led back to this forum but about 12 months ago.
with the title

Colt 1.3 2005 Gear Change Problem, cold start reverse sychro gear problem

it appears to be a common problem with no answers. Everybody seems to be saying that this car has no synchromesh on reverse gear.
does anybody know how I stand for returning the car?
I remember Ford used to say you could exchange a new car within 12 months for any reason (even don't like the colour).

I am trying to locate another dealer to give a second opinion about mine. There is all-electric over hallsoween but they want it left with them and £12 a day for a courtesy car.The problem is its about 20 miles from me. and they want it on Friday so that's 4 days hire before they look at the car (if the car is ready for Monday)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Originally posted by stevansam@Mar 19 2007, 07:34 AM
I can't believe that a new 2006 car doesn't have syncho on all gears, is that reallly true and nothing can be done about this?
[snapback]89414[/snapback]​
i gather mitsubishi arent alone in doing this.Renault,peugoet,citroen and Nissan dont have it in most of their range,i guess its one of those things that isnt deemed worthy of the extra expense. I cant see any practical way around this except to try modify your driving style to allow the gear engage smoothly.

If you are serious about getting rid of the car cause of the problem id say you should get in contact with the importer sooner rather than later,the dealer will try to fob you off so might be worth going over his head. Even if you just tell them youve had the problem and arent happy with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your right Gevo

the dealer won't take the car back because it's not a fault of the car but a charatistic of this model.
I also have a Renault megane and at work drive a Ford pick-up, which both have syncho in reverse, I can't change my driving habits for just one car and not the others. Also the car I traded in was a Vauxhall Corsa which also had synchro! all small cars and about the same price!

shame because its a nice car. I bought it because where I live there are speed bumps everywhere and the Colt can sail over them where'as the corsa (& megane) bounce.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need to wait for a few secs after disenganging forward gear before shifting into the reverse, the car must not be moving

Confirmed from a Mitsubishi technician that this is normal (it's a feature, not a bug :-/ )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

*no solution, just context!

I also drive a colt (2003). While i acknowledge that yours is a different version i thought it might add some context to tell you that i have the same problem as you describe. It does not happen happen all the time but nevertheless is a frequent occurrence.

I must try some of the solutions mentioned in this thread....

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes! I've been having the same problem since I bought the car. Just got to ease it into reverse whilst taking your time or all sorts of noises occur. Pretty nasty really.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

Most of the time mine is fine. I used to have a Nissan Almera and that did exactly the same thing; you had to come to a complete stop and dip the clutch on off on before engaging reverse or it would "crunch" into reverse.

However, this isn't something I'd lose any sleep over really. I reverse park most of the time, reverse into the garage, reverse onto the drive, etc etc, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Might have to grin and bear it? :/

Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
i dont know of any car that has a sincro on the reverse gear it is a safety feature to protect the car from going into reverse while it is mooving forward if it wont go in reverse let your foot off the clutch for a second then try it again this alows all the gears to reach the same speed

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had exactly the same problem with my Colt. It sounds pretty horrific if you engage reverse straight from neutral. The only thing that seems to cure it is the first gear selection thing that other people mention.

I took it back to the dealer (Foursons in Norwich) who initially fitted a new clutch plate to no avail. They were quite rude to me when I contacted them again about the problem and to be honest the experience has put me off them as a dealership. I also had a problem with the nearside electric mirror failing and a sticking rear electric window which was resolved. A bit dissapointing as I would have expected a Japanese car to be very reliable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts