Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Garmin GPS with built-in XM radio. Since I live in an area with tightly packed FM frequencies (and a few pirate stations), the FM transmitter in the unit isn't powerful enough and I get frequent problems. I use a cassette adapter in my other car, but no cassette in the Endeavor

I'd like to wire the line-out directly into the stereo, but nobody around here knows much about the factory set-up. The vehicle has a dvd player which will never be used (my dogs got tired of it <g>), and there must be a secondary audio. So the question is how would I go about this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just hardwired my Sirius radio in about 4 weeks ago...I wired in the FM Direct Audio Relay and also power. I won't talk about power since you're not interested in that, but if anyone else is, let me know...doing the power sucked, but putting in the relay was very easy.

On my Endee, and prob most others, there is no audio input so the best thing to do is use a Direct Audio Relay. I bought a kit, http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SIRPVK1, which is for Sirius, and includes everything you need to wire in the power and the signal. I'm sure you could find one for XM, and you could probably find the Relay alone as well.

What the Direct Audio Relay does is essentially insert the Satellite signal directly into the antenna stream. You open up the dash, which is fairly easy on the Endee and plug this small box into where the antenna currently plugs in, then you plug the antenna into the new box. The box is about 1"x2"x1.5". I used velcro to stick it up inside the dash, then you button the whole thing up and it works great.

The signal is perfect!!! I just drove through NYC this weekend and didn't have to change the station at all. No Static at all! I used to have to search forever to find a good spot in NYC. I don't think there is anywhere in the country with more radio than NYC.

So that is my recommendation!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, I'm looking into that kit.

Ultimately, I'd like to bypass the FM/Antenna altogether.

Coincidentally, I'm from New York, and yes, there are places with more radio. I now live in South Florida and our airwaves are packed with legal stations in 3 major U.S. markets (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach) in three languages, legal stations (some broadcasting way over US power limits) in the Bahamas/Cuba/Carribean. Throw in a whole bunch of pirates and it's a mess. Even regular receivers get static/interference/over-power. AM is ten times worse.

I'm hoping to go line-out to line-in!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I found by going with a direct line in via an AUX port i actually had electronic interference. As where with the FM product mentioned above I got zero interference, from other stations or electronically.

The reason being is that it literary shuts off your cars antenna and makes the your radio think the satellite radio is coming in from a radio station but really its a direct line. This is actually the most direct connection you can have.

You have a box which connects to the Sirius receiver and then directly where your car antenna connects to your cars radio. Then your cars antenna connects to that box. So when you have you radio set to the sirius channel it blocks the signal from the antenna.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I didn't know that it blocked the signal from the antenna, thats pretty cool. It sounds right, because like I said, there is absolutely zero interference on the station I always had to switch away from before. And also, on my '04 there is no line-in port unless you bought one of those crazy cords for the ipod that everyone seems to have trouble with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts