Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 98 Rs, now the previous owner told me that the heater core was going out. When you turn the heater up, its like its releasing moisture because the window gets foggy and gets condensation inside. Is this the heater core or another problem? I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LoL i guess if i had to describe the smell then yes. How difficult is it to replace? I'm sure you have to take off the dash and everything of that nature, but this being my first eclipse, any advice would be cool.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
dash has to come out.
HVAC system has to come out.

its not anywhere near as easy as that sounds. Not a good project for a beginner, as its about a 6 hour job when done professionally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im having the same problem with my 97 rs.......but really that hard? im not worried about freezing in houston to much but i WOULD like to fix the constant condensation on the windsheild in cold weather. Any diagrams to help? thankyou

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
if u dont fix cars for a living...then yes it can be hard...

like manybrews said ..the whole dash has to come out and the a/c system needs to evac'ed and then recharged after...

so if u have a weekend to kill its doable in your driveway...

or u could just bypass it if u dont really need the heat..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep its the heater core. Mine is leaking right now. Its possible to bypass the heater core if you need to. Its a pain in the ass to change the heater core as mentioned, the entire dash had to come out which is time consuming. Common problem in these cars when these car gets a lot of miles. Mine is 141k and has begun to leak bad my carpet is soaked and the windows fog. Check under the floor mat and see if its damp.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
and the other thing u need to worry about is your dash pad...
if its badly cracked they can come apart while you are trying to take it out or put it back in...

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
If the dash has never been out before it can be a 4 hour or more job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ive done a evap from a escape and heater core from a focus the dash in the ecape came completly out but not the focus just steer.wh. n unbolt/clip dash and shove over towards the driverside not undoing any driverside harness just like four from pass side......... on these cars does it all come out or can you sneak it over like the focus

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
no it all comes out....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts