Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently purchased a full size 1998 Montero w/65k. First off, gorgeous vehicle!! 2ndly, I'm interested in purchasing a keyless remote fob off of ebay. The only thing is trying to have it reprogrammed. There are a couple of vendors that are selling some aftermarket key fob w/reprogramming instructions, but I'd like to stick the the original remote since this Montero has the factory alarm (currently disabled - removed the fused below the dash and have to press the small red button to start.)

I've searched several mit forums, but have not found a concrete method on how to have a keyless fob reprogrammed. Can anyone help with this info??? I believe the I've read somewhere that the instructions are the same from 95-98, but can say for sure. Much appreciated if you have any info.

Thanks, Mike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:banana:

Finally found the solution to this issue:

First off, you must have the correct key fob, if not, will not work. Up to four key fobs will work and depending the amount will determine how many time you have to program each one.

IE: 1 remote - program 4 times
2 remotes - program each remote 2 times
3 remotes - program 2 remotes 1 time and the last one 2 times
4 remotes - program each one

1 step -Open the drivers door (gotta remain open) and interior/dome light on (main light)

2 step - Turn the ignition switch to the 'on' or 'ignition' position (DO NOT START engine)

3 step - Press and hold the emergency override button (small red button on left side of steering wheel), around by the 14th second, the horn will sound 3 times. {This indicates that the unit has entered the transmitter programming mode.................KEEP HOLDING THE OVERRIDE BUTTON}

4 step - Press the lock/arm button on the remote (the remote being programmed) The horn will sound once, indicating that the system has learned that remote.

5 step - repeat step 4 for either same remote or add'l remotes (the fac system must acknowledge 4 memory lots , hence the possibility to program 4 remotes.)

6 step - Turn the ign switch to off position and release the override button

AND THERE YOU GO, YOU NOW KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM .....................I believe the years are from 93/4 - 1998 MONTERO/PAJERO/SHOGUNS

Hope info helps

:57:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi...
Do you know if it works for a 96 montero with Chapman alarm System. It came with pursuit remote which works for the doors lock but not for the alarm.
Any help will be well recieved
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own 1996 Mentero LS and my remote entry key stopped working. I am trying to re-program the keys but could not locate the "emergency override button" you mentioned in your email. Where is it button in 1996 Mentero LS. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Firstlt i do not think this applies to a FACTORY MITSUBISHI deternt system. They do not have this red light/over ride button . They do not have that . I think he is programming an aftermarket unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts