Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have a 99 Mirage DE 2DR and so far we mannaged to put 90,815 miles on it. im wondering how much longer the engine has to live?? im plaing on getting a s1 turbo kit for it, a new cat back exhaust, and an SRI. should i invest my money in those parts or will the engine just crap out on me??

·
Registered
98 Posts
well hey let me say i have a 99' Mirage DE coupe also and ive already hit 137,567 miles and it still runs great and i drive this thing hard most of the time...so yeah add the stuff because im starting to add up my own things to it. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 95 1.8L Ls. bought it bran new and now have 240,000 miles on its and is running perfect just keep oil changed out every 3000 miles and flush and refill radiator every year . only thing that I have had to replace is headgasket at 230,000 miles due to a small coolant leak into #1 cyl .changed it myself and is still running great even with 230,000 miles on it could still see the hone marks in the cylnder bores with that many miles on it is very empresive. misubishi makes great motors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree.With 122,000 on my 93 Colt,I changed out the head gasket and saw the factory hone marks on the cylinder bores.I have never seen an American engine do that.The 1.5 is a good,if uninspiring engine.It has potential but was never designed for high HP.Mainly its a journeyman engine.....good gas mileage and long life with little hassle....sorta like a tractor engine....treat it right,and it wont let you down.But abuse it....and it will break something expensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a update. now have 255,000 miles on my mirage LS and still going strong. don't use or leak anything at all, runs like new and getting 36 mpg so can beet that :amen:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Originally posted by DJ SlipStream@Jul 11 2005, 10:58 AM
Hi guys, i have a 99 Mirage DE 2DR and so far we mannaged to put 90,815 miles on it. im wondering how much longer the engine has to live?? im plaing on getting a s1 turbo kit for it, a new cat back exhaust, and an SRI. should i invest my money in those parts or will the engine just crap out on me??
[snapback]21867[/snapback]​
I'd be careful about turboing a car with almost 100K on it...just some friendly tech advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive beat my 99 de four door to death trying to blow the motor and i just cant do it ive held it on the rev limiter for more then 5 minutes, knocked the oil pan off then drove it about 5 miles to the house and it still run like it did when i got it in 03 it has 144,000 on it and it just keeps on my friend call it in destructable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just depends how well you take care of it. it can last a very very long time if you take good care of it and as one person said it may outlast you.

not too high mileage though. i would probably recommend it, but i have never seen your car.

ninja.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you put a turbo on a engine that was never intended to be turboed you can cut the life in half or more .. they did make a turbo mirage ..if i were you id find one of those

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 Mirage 1.8L DE 153,000... just replaced the valve cover gaskets and everything in there looks great....

I replace my oil ever 10,000 miles or 6 months... use a long life filter and 20W-50 for 3 quarts and the rest slick 50. Only issue I've had was the gasket leaking into the spark cylinders and manifolds.

Dont know if people like to use additives to their engines but slick 50 has done wonders for the tarnish build up... even my dip stick looks better!

Now the suspension on my car is crap!!! :p but at least the engine and mostly the transmission runs nice. :grin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 98 Mirage DE (1.5L) Coupe Manual and have 176,000+ on it now. Noticing oil leaking from valve cover, do not know head gasket condition, but average 39mpg up to 43mpg with easy takeoffs. how's everyone elses? btw: have custom cai as only engine mod. also, i had a 90 integra 1.8 that blew headgasket just over 300k miles!

Ron Paul 08!
ronpaul2008.com
dailypaul.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 98 Mirage DE (1.5L) Coupe Manual with 120K that gets a consistent 41-42 mpg in the summer months. It's an amazing engine, but I don't know about boosting it. Too bad I just had a whitetail interface and toasted the roof!!! (that means I hit a deer) Looking for another body with a bad engine to swap this drivetrain into.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts