Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive an automatic 2003 lancer es. I have a list of items i am getting before i get it turboed. If i should add to the list let me know and also has anyone seen a decrease in gas mileage after getting a turbo and how much?

1. Short Ram Intake
2. Cat Back Exhaust System
3. Pistons
4. Connecting Rods
5. Turbo unless anything else is needed

Thank you

·
Registered
371 Posts
there shouldn't be a decrease in gas miliage provided you don't boost 24/7. is you drive normally, you should actually get better miliage.

and those parts sound good, except for the SRI, cos you will actually end up removing it once you have installed the turbo

also, if you want pistons and connecting rods, we got some on sale. They are the lowest priced that you are going to find, and probably the best quality for the lancer

rods: $480 shipped
http://stores.speedcorps.com/Detail.bok?no=292

Pistons: $620 shipped
http://stores.speedcorps.com/Detail.bok?no=285

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told not to get rods or pistons because the turbo alone will be pushing the auto tranny limit...idk if its different on an auto than a manual but buying a turbo for a non turbo car and not getting rod or pistons sounds suicidal for the car...am i right?

·
Registered
371 Posts
yes you are right. whoever told you not to get them needs a slap. The auto tranny is fine up to about 250hp, after that it will start slipping and such. Upgrading the pistons and rods won't have any effect on the transmission, or give any significant increase in power.

Running about 9psi on a 16G turbo will get you about 200-230hp depending on supporting mods. It is highly recomended you get new pistons, rods, and head studs when running any turbo on the lancer. Not so much to turn up the boost and increase power, but just for reliability. the stock pistons and rods are pathetic and can't handle a lot. So if you plan on keeping your car a while, its worth spending the money now

however if you do plan on pushing the limits of your car, you will have the internals already, and all you will need to do is upgrade your transmission.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right after i get my pistons,rods, and head studs and turbo im holding off on the engine to work on some other parts of the car

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would i see a big difference in performance if i purchase both of these parts? Because im looking for more power with turboing yet. I already have intake and headers and cat back exhaust.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Originally posted by Travis k@Jan 15 2008, 03:58 PM
Would i see a big difference in performance if i purchase both of these parts? Because im looking for more power with turboing yet. I already have intake and headers and cat back exhaust.
[snapback]134676[/snapback]​
What parts (rods and pistons)?

No you will not see a performance increase. They are needed if you plan to turbo your car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
since the engine is the same as the evos, which is turboed, you wont need any new internal engine components (connecting rods or pistons) for a turbo unless you exceed that of the evo. idk why pple are telling you to waste money on that stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No the regular lancers DONT have the evo engine. We have the 4g94. Pistons and rods are weak in this car. As stated above, you will need the pistons and rods so you wont blow your engine. Stock, it will handle the turbo but not much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i agree with steel evo my engine blew at 16psi of boost so unless your planning to boost that high then youd definitely need the pistons and rods and bunch of other crap for your motor,but if your planning on daily driving it i suggest you keep it boosted at 8 or 10 psi but no more than that if you dunt have internals.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Just because both engines are 2.0L, 4 cylinder; it doesn't mean they are the same engine. The blocks aren't even the same. The Evo engine block is a 4G63T, and the Lancer ES/OZ/LS is a 4G94.

This topic is going to get closed if it becomes a pissing match.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No sir. there not the same. I wish the regular lancers had the evo engine but no we got the economy 120 hp at crank 4g94. The regular lancer and evo almost look the same but the drivetrain and everything else is different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts