Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Please check the link below. I think Spacewagon, RVR and Expo have similar circuit.

http://indy.pp.ru/GDI/Docs/SPACE_RUNNER_WAGON_91_ENG/

With regards to your problem, please do the following check first before replacing the distributor.

1. Power supply (batteries, connectors)
2. Check if the ECU was not disconnected

Please give more info like,
1. Can you crank the engine?
2. Since when did you have this trouble?
3. Gas or Diesel? EFI?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

One month ago, I noticed the car was not powerful enough after it was cold started, but it backed to normal after it ran about 3 minutes (Is it caused by cold?) After the car had not driven for one week, I could not start it. I have to mention it was very cold during that week (-10 F).

Here is what I found and did.
1. The car can not be jumped by a 6 year old Honda Civic (the Civic was running when jumped)
2. The car can not be started with the battery removed from that Honda
3. The car can not be started by its own battery fully charged by AutoZone.
4. The starter is running (crank the engine).
5. No spark in the spark plug
6. There is power in the end of primary coil of ignition coil when the car key is in ON position (12v) or Start position (8v~9v, because the starter consumes more power?). No power when the key in OFF position.
7. Measured the resistance of the 4 spark wires. It is range from 7k to 11k.
8. Measured the resistance of primary coil of the ignition coil. It is 0.7ohem.
9. Measured the resistance of the secondary of the ignition coil. It is 14k-ohem.
10. No spark after replacing 4 plugs, Cleaned the electrical point in the distributor cap and rotor.
11. The car uses Gas.
12. The ECU should be connected because the init diagnosis runs well the turns the car key to ON. The “Engine Check” indicator is on and then off.

13. What is EFI?
14. Where is the ECU located?
15. Is there ON-Board diagnosis connector in this car and where is it located?
16. Which sensor sends signal to ECU to trigger ignition coil and where is it located? Is it Crank position sensor or some thing inside the distributor?
17. What else should I check? Any suggestion?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
68 Posts
With regards to your question:

13. What is EFI? "Electronic Fuel Injection". This is where the engine is runned using a micro-computer controlling the fuel injectors.

14. Where is the ECU located?
ECU is located mostly below the dash board. Depends on the model of the car.

15. Is there ON-Board diagnosis connector in this car and where is it located?
If its EFI, there might be on-board diagnostic connector. This is usually found near the fuse box below the dash.

16. Which sensor sends signal to ECU to trigger ignition coil and where is it located? Is it Crank position sensor or some thing inside the distributor?
I am not so sure, the Crank angle sensor might be also defective. Try checking the connectors and spray some contact cleaners. On the other hand, if the sensors were defective the Check Engine Light should indicate the failure.

17. What else should I check? Any suggestion?
Have you tried checking your fuel?? If fuel is not the problem, then it might be the fuel pump died. The timing belts might be also cut off, better have them checked as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BTW, how did you test the spark plugs? Did you use a spark tester or similar? There should be a spark to run your engine. Look into this first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used 2 methods to test park
1. Use an inductive spark tester which is attached to the spark wire. It should be on if there is high voltage and spark in the plugs when the engine is cranked. Tried 4 wires, the light was never on.
2. Un-mounted one of 4 wires and connected it to a new spark plug which metal thread is attached to the ground of battery. Crank the engine. No spark in the spark plug.

It seems there is no high voltage output from the ignition coil.

13. The engine is 4g64. I can not find EFI information in the owner manual. How can I find if it is EFI or not?
14. The car is EXPO 1995.
15. Found a 8-hole connector behind the fuse box of driver side dash. Is it the on-board diagnostic connector?
16. Where is the Crank angle sensor located? Some one said there are 2 in some kind of car. One service manual for Galant which uses the same same 4g64 says the sensor is nearby timing belt, but the Autozone website says it is "Under hood, center, front engine area, mounted on lower front passenger side of engine" for 95 EXPO. Where is it?
The Check Engine Light is on and then off, never staying on.
17. I don’t think fuel pump will affect spark. The distributor motor is running. I will check timing belt.

18. I read an artical for 92 EXPO. It seems the CPS is an optical device inside the destributor. But not sure 95 EXPO is the same or not.

Crankshaft Angle & TDC Sensor Assembly
Assembly is located in distributor on SOHC engines. Assembly
consists of triggering disc (mounted on shaft) and stationary optical
sensing unit. Camshaftdrives shaft, triggering optical sensing unit.
ECU determines crank angle and TDC based on signals received from
optical sensing unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
4G64 is EFI.

If you'll browse the link I gave to you, you can find an illustration where you can find the crank angle sensor.

OBD connector mostly should be 12 or 16 pins D shaped connector.

Check Engine Light when stays on during ignition for almost 5 sec then goes off is normal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Please check the fuses as well and replace any busted fuse. Check for Fuse 3 specifically at the fuse box under the hood, this connects the ECU or Fuse 18 in the fuse box under the dash (ignition coil fuse).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your suggestion!

I checked the fuses. There are 2 fuse boxes. One is under hood and another one is in the driver compartment. One fusible link in the under-hood box is for ignition switch, which is good. There is no fuse for ignition coil fuse or ECU.

Here are all fuses and fusible links from owner manual.
cigarettte kighter, radio, heaterrelay, turn signals, meters, horn, wiper, 4-A/T, door lock, dome lights, backup lights, heater, electronic controlled injection, lamp, radiator fan, ignition switch, rear window defogger, power window, hazard, tail lights, high beam, condenser fan, air conditioning.

Found the 16 pin D shaped self-diagnosis connector. Which pins should I use to read the code by a ohem-meter?

I read the document from the link. It says the crankshaft sensor is inside distributor. However, the Autozone has this part for the EXPO 95. The part can not be inside the distributor. Here is what I found from Auozone web.

-----
On your 1995 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4L MFI SOHC , the is located:
Under hood, center, front engine area, mounted on lower front passenger side of engine
-----
On your 1994 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4L MFI SOHC , the is located:
Under hood, passenger side, upper engine area, rear of engine, mounted in distributor
-----
On your 1992 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4L MFI , the is located:
Under hood, driver side, rear engine area, mounted in distributor
--------

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found the On-board diagnosis connector. Connected pin 1 and pin 4 with the key in ON position. "check engine" light blinks on-off-on-off ... at 0.5 second intervals, which means no code stored.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The engine works after replacing distributor. I doubt the ignition module failure. I am wandering how it could be broken after one week not driving. Could be cold?

Any way, thanks aharryph to answer me so many questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts