my name is Mauricio, I have a Mitsubishi mirage 2001 ES

and I have a problem,

ocurs when the car is in an Uphill condition, it sounds like Valve noise,

how can adjust the ignition time?

or maybe it is another trouble?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Does your car even have a regular distributor? If it does you can adjust the timing with a timing light. You're going to need a manual to show you how. Unless you had some work done on the distributor, the sound you are hearing is likely caused by something else such as a faulty EGR system creating overly hot combustion temperatures.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi,

this engine is a g94 electronic injection and it doesn't have distributor,

it is posble to adjust the ignition time by another form?

thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't believe so. Consider other causes for the noises you are experiencing. Possibilities may be plugs, wires, low grade fuel, and EGR.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When going uphill, then you hear a noise ... is not caused by EGR or something. What you hear is the knocking piston in the cylinder, which we called it as Engine Knocking. Engine Knocking happens due to engine timing is set too high or advance, or use low octane gasoline.

Remedy, change better spark plug, readjust ignition timing, use higher octane gasoline.

Engine Knock = Two times combustion in 1 REV .. Do check on internet. Usefull

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ko_danny84,

I apreciate your Help, do you know how to reverse the engine timing?

because the motor engine G94 (mirage 2001) is an electronic injection system and doesn't have screws for adjustments...!!!!

thanks again...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2000 DE Mirage with the 4g93 engine and sometimes in uphill conditions I have heard the saime noise. im using the higher octane grade available in my country (97) and the noise has been present since I have the car (about 1 year and a half).

I've never tried something like the sparkplugs cables, sinve the only changes that I've made is the normal change of sparkplugs, air filter and Fuel filter (besides teh oil change of course).

I have not noticed any loss of power or any adverse effect on the car, just the noise.

My car has Automatic transmission, I dont know if that natters in the example.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, i'm not sure whether your engine timing can be adjust manually or not.... But there are many types of Ignition Timing system by Mitusubishi. Some ignition timing can be adjust manually by turning TDC sensor (waste spark ignition - 4G93) or distributor (4G92). Some ignition system equipped in 4A31 or 4G18 ... cannot be adjust since the system is controlled fully by ECU itself.

- Use timing induction light to see if the basic ignition timing is in the specification as stated in the workshop manual.

- Retarding the timing will reduce engine knocking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with you "Retarding the timing will reduce engine knocking"

and now, how can I adjust the timing into the 4G93...?

thanks a lot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey DFbonnet, sorry if I qouted some wrong statement from the previous post. Sigh... Do you think that you are the greatest in this forum? Are you the best? You just can't accept others suggestion and opinion? Do you have to tell people to go back to schools to study all that basic ****? I'm so pissed to hear that from you ... i always thought you have the knowledge and just want to share and help, but unfortunately ... you use it to kid/look down on others.

You know what ... if the first thing to see whats wrong with the car is to find the nearest troubleshoot, rather than digging some knowledge which is far beyond the troubleshooting chart/list. Why would you think that the first thing to look is EGR itself? Why not the biggest/obvious factor like timing or maybe the stupid sound is just from the stupid A/C idler bearing? Why dragging so far that beyond basic DIY-er understanding? You went to ****y! Even if i'm wrong, i just posting to help, not to scold people. Well, let me ask you... if one engine running hot, that the temp raise to max, Then will you inspec on EGR first? Since it will contribute to heat. Why not just inspec the simple stuff like clogged/leak radiator or fan motor? or maybe only caused by radiator motor relay!!

Yet all that I have learn'd (hugh toyles now past) By long experience, and in famous schooles, Is but to know my ignorance at last, Who think themselves most wise are greatest fools. ~ William Alexander, Earl of Stirling
- Pissed -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts