Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the In Cabin Air Filter Replacement themselves? How difficult was it and where is it located? If you had dealer do it what was the cost?

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I'm interested in having a cabin air filter, too. I've seen several Web site offer cabin air filters for Endeavors 2004-06, so I'm guessing my '07 would have at least a place for it (if a filter wasn't standard). However, I can't find anything in the manual that suggests how/when/where to replace it.

One company called "Champion Laboratories, Inc." has a PDF of its Kleener® cabin air filters products for multiple automobiles. Each location of the cabin air filter is given a code UH, UD, or GB for the vehicle. The Endeavor is listed as "GB" and I'm guessing that means "glove box". Does that mean behind the glove box, under the glove box?? I haven't checked my own Endeavor because it's still in the shop from the crash four weeks ago. (I attached the PDF to this post.)

If it is there, why isn't in the manual? Why isn't listed with the specs? I should get my new Endeavor back in a few days. When I do, I'll check myself and report back. Otherwise, has anyone replaced/added a cabin air filter to their Endeavor?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK, so i'm bringing back a really old post...mainly aimed at manybrews...I bought a cabin air filter..do you know off hand where the space for it is located? The above post never seemed to be resolved.

If I run my AC without the "recirculater" on, i.e. letting in new fresh air, the air smells moldy, so I'm hoping the cabin air filter will fix that. If there's no filter at all I wouldn't think there would be a moldy smell, but I bought it used and it was well taken care of so they may have added one.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
its behind the glove box.
remove it, and you'll see a blanked out square area that needs to be cut out using a strong utility knife.

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK, so I did it. Not as easy as I thought it was gonna be, but not too bad. Pulled out the GB then undid the panel behind it and pulled that out. I was a little nervous about working that close to the airbag. Sure enough there was a cutout. I used an X-Acto knife and pulled out the piece. There is some kind of sliders inside for the filter to sit on. The instructions that were with the filter showed a tray that the filter drops into. It seems like thats definitely how it should be. Is there a cabin air filter assy that comes with a tray?? Anyways I just slid in the filter and let it hang there. Not a tight fit, but it seems to be ok. Then I realized I had a big hole. So I used electrical tape and taped the panel back in that I cut out and sealed around it.

After re-assembling everything, I ran the AC without the recirculator on and it definitely seemed to help. I didn't notice any moldy smell like before. I have a decent drive this weekend so that will be the test.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please let me know how your drive, and the smell, turns out because I am having the same smell (I assume) problem and I called the dealer and they said the clean air filter cost close to $60. I have an '04 RA. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
the filter should not cure the smell.

the "moldy" smell is, in fact, mold. It grows on the evaporator coils due to the fact that moisture condenses on it whilst its in operation. you then shut off the car, and some of the water stays on the fins. Eventually, a light fungus grows.

there are ac system treatments that help, but none will be permanent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to say that after driving this weekend it seems to have helped. The smell seems to have diminished. I may be just imagining it though because I definitely agree with manybrews. After installing the filter and seeing where it is in the system and the type of filter it is it shouldn't get rid of a smell. The filter is at the beginning of the system. Its filtering incoming air, which def isn't where the smell was coming from. It is a light, thin filter, I doubt it would filter smells anyways.

I bought mine at autozone for about $35, and the install took about a half hour. You could prob get it cheaper online but I didn't look. Unless you're fairly handy, and willing to cut a hole in your car, I wouldn't try it. $60 seems pretty reasonable.

Again, I can't really explain it, but for now it does seem to have helped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts