Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the stereo integrated into the dash, I am wondering if it is possible to ever upgrade the 6 disc CD changer with an aftermarket product.

Specifically, I would like to install one of those in-dash navigation systems, since Mitsubishi forgot to include that as an option.

The model I would like to install is the Pioneer AVIC-N1
which can be viewed at http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xJCP3KBJ2ZF/c...350&I=130AVICN1

Does anyone know if this is even possible?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got one of these:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php...&cat=411&page=1

It fits in the pocket below the stereo / ac controls.
I also bought a spare center console that I may wind up hacking on- but I want to give the "pocket radio" a chance first. I just bought a Sony head unit:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php...&cat=230&page=1
This one is supposed to look completely black when powered off. I think that having the stock stereo in place, but actually running this will be good for security. I mean, if someone looks thru the window, they might just see the stock stereo in the dash and keep going (hopefully)
That display that pops out of the navigation unit might have some clearance issues and it may be a little low, but I thought I would mention you the option that I am thinking of. One final concern and I will shut up...
I need to measure the available mounting depth in the pocket area. The pocket itself is about 4" deep, but the average DIN unit is about 6.5", so I need to see if there is any measurable free space behind there.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
I started here:
http://www.car-part.com/
The actual auto recycler that I got the part from was in Chicago:
S & L BODY SHOP 773-582-9311
What you need to do is find the part you need using the search engine, then call them (whoever has your part) with the reference number to the part you want. I tried sending S & L an email, but did not get a response for some time- so I called. I got a "teenage receptionist girl" type on the phone, but when I told her the specific part number, she knew just what I was talking about. I gave her my address and CC#, and the part showed up a few days later. Funny thing too, about a day after I received the part in the mail, I got a response back to my original email saying, "oh yeah, I have one of those", then they quoted me a price $10 higher than I actually paid ($35). I took a pic of it. It actually included the radio faceplate and pocket insert too.
[attachmentid=312]
I ended up not ripping mine up because I found the DIN adapter that goes in the pocket, so I may just keep this as a spare in case some derelict decides to rip my dash apart trying to get at my goods- I have seen it before (luckily not me personally).
If you get one, hack it up and make something cool!
Later, Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cool idea-
I went and looked at the 7" Xenarc monitor, and I noticed that its dimensions were: - Dimension (in): 7.75W x 4.75H x 1.38D
I went and measured the available area on the center section that I have, and it looked like that would fit easy- but one thing you would need to do is cut out the section starting near the top- which means that the hazard switch would need to be relocated. Its just a momentary switch between the green/yellow wire and the black wire, so you could mount a smaller version over on the left-hand side of the dash. I guess the hardest part for me would be: how to come up with the most sanitary looking transition between the gaping hole I just cut and the monitor itself. With the silver and black all over the dash, its hard not to imagine something in a matte black- oh, then I wander across this: http://www.carcpu.com/images/carcpu_1715.jpg
Tell me that wouldn't be perfect! Its almost worth paying the 13 bucks just to see how well it would fit. Actually as it sets right now, with the DIN stereo in the bottom pocket area (which is working out great), a PC acting as a jukebox into the aux input... Definitely keep us posted on what develops. You could really go nuts with this concept***
Later, Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a quick update I orderd the carcpu
CarCPU Custom Configuration System (case, power supply, fans, motherboard, Pentium 4 2.4, battery wiring, Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX, custom power harness) with MSI slim DVD-CDRW Drive with custom power harness

Xenarc 700TSV Black

200G hard drive

512 meg off DDR Memory

Belkin 10’ VGA Extension Cable 1

5x Belkin 10’ USB Extension Cables

Belkin 6’ USB Extension Cable (for Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX)

The AirStation 54Mbps Wireless USB Adapter (work with wifi antenna no power needed)
, TimeTrax Connect XM
(http://www.timetraxtech.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1),
802.11 Magnetic Mount
Mobile WiFi Antenna
(http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4-mobile7.php) and the 7 inch Xenarc 700TSV Black lcd .

I still have to get a tv car and the Digimoto 3.7 - The ultimate solution for vehicle diagnostics. but that will be later, with the back up cam (works with lcd).

Now will i be able to install all of this stuff ... that is the question. I am a tech so the computer will not be a issuse. I will load MCE 2005 and software from mp3car.com .I am start to think i may have to take this is a installer but i will see how hard it is first.

and can I mount the lcd in or on the dash and get this to play in the aux of the system ??? we will see . I you have any ideas please let me know I will be happy to try them .

P.S
I will put the computer where the spare tire is and if i have to make a new cover so the computer can get more air.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by mikkojay@Feb 4 2005, 01:16 AM
Cool idea-
I went and looked at the 7" Xenarc monitor, and I noticed that its dimensions were:Â* - Dimension (in): 7.75W x 4.75H x 1.38D
I went and measured the available area on the center section that I have, and it looked like that would fit easy- but one thing you would need to do is cut out the section starting near the top- which means that the hazard switch would need to be relocated. Its just a momentary switch between the green/yellow wire and the black wire, so you could mount a smaller version over on the left-hand side of the dash.Â* I guess the hardest part for me would be: how to come up with the most sanitary looking transition between the gaping hole I just cut and the monitor itself.Â* With the silver and black all over the dash, its hard not to imagine something in a matte black- oh, then I wander across this: http://www.carcpu.com/images/carcpu_1715.jpg
Tell me that wouldn't be perfect!Â* Its almost worth paying the 13 bucks just to see how well it would fit.Â* Actually as it sets right now, with the DIN stereo in the bottom pocket area (which is working out great), a PC acting as a jukebox into the aux input...Â* Definitely keep us posted on what develops.Â* You could really go nuts with this concept***
Later, Mike
[snapback]7264[/snapback]​
The Endeavor 1.1 ver is done the carputer is running and all is well. :clap: I will add some pics on line this weekend .I still need to get the lcd mounted in the dashboard but that will be later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just done a rough install of a 7" monitor in the center dash. If you stick with a monitor 4 1/2" inches or less the you won't have to move the emergency button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive been wanting to get a dvd installed as well in the lower compartment.
but do any of you guys find that when the screen comes out... does it hit your shifter when its in park

and is it too low for the driver to seE?

i was talking to some guy that out in my subs.. he said that some company is making an aftermarket part for the whole deck unit where there will b a slot for a deck..
not sure who makes it n how it looks but i'll repost when i find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sup son what DIN adapter did you find that fit in the pocket where the factory CD/Radio was? If you don't mind can I get that manufacter and model# ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts