Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Trailer hitch and wiring installed by U-Haul for $360. If you want to install it yourself and save some $$$ here is how it's done. VERY EASY. I took off the harness and the hitch and I was mad that I paid for this crap, which was not well done at all.
(However, If you have trouble changing a tire or have no basic knowledge of a car, DO NOT attempt this)

Of course you need to purchase a Hitch, Wire harness, A power cord approximately 12 feet, and short Ties. You can buy hitch and harness online or from U-haul.

1. Disconnect the Negative battery
2. Attach the power cord to the Positive side of the battery and run it to the back of the SUV underneath the car. Attach the cord to the suv with ties. Mine was attached to one of the three tubes that run underneath the car on the driver's side. 3 tubes under the car run close parallel to each other. Make sure you don't attach the wire to anything that gets hot.

3. Connect the Harness Wire that reads "Battery" (Thick Black Wire) to the power cord you just installed.

4. Remove both tail lights by unscrewing 2 screws.
5. START on The LEFT side of the tail lights.

6. Connect the Harness YELLOW wire (Left Turn) to Green and Blue wire going into the bottom plug See PICTURE 1 (There are three plugs/light bulbs and the top is where the 2 screws are)

7. Connect the Harness WHITE wire (Ground) to BLACK wire going into the bottom plug

8. Connect the Harness BROWN wire (Tail) to GREEN with WHITE stripe wire going into the top plug

9. Connect the Harness RED wire (Stop) to solid GREEN wire going into the top plug.

10. Run the remaining GREEN wire (Right Turn) underneath the bumper of the SUV to the other side, bring it up and connect it to the GREEN wire going into the bottom plug.

11. Drop the Trailer plug behind the bumper and secure it on the bottom (U-haul left mine hanging in the air)

12. Put the SH$%^% back together and U are finished my friend, Connect the Battery

REMEMBER, your main connections will be on the LEFT TAIL LIGHT. There is only one wire going to the Right Side.

It is easy, maybe it will take you an hour
SEE PICS
questions:
[email protected]
[attachmentid=6571][attachmentid=6572][attachmentid=6573][attachmentid=6574][attachmentid=6575]

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
The trailer hitch was easy to install but cleaning out the weldnuts was a pain in the ass. Also I would go with the OEM trailer light kit. Its a simple plug and play but its about 60 bucks:(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
those aftermarket hitches and harnesses are garbage.

using "scotchlocks" on existing wiring will definitely result in premature corrosion of those wires.

had you bought the factory wiring, you dont even remove the taillights, as the car has over half of the wiring already present.
you plug the converter box into a pre-exiiting harness, run it through a pre-existing hole, and youre done.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
EXACTLY , ive honestly seen many people buy aftermarket stuff that shows this whole list of "compatible" vehicles . And all it leads are to problems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts