Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have this winter and the winter before problem with loss of power when acceleration in low speed. Car stalling or not able to manage a small uphill. Sometime short powerloss in highway but very short for a second Problem often after driving i rain on highway after other cars. Mostly have the power coming back if drive aside and with neutral position try to speed up engine. Sometimes need to shut of engine and wait a while before restart. The car has no problem to start or no idle symptoms. Engine lamp do not light up, no error code beside one time for throttle problem. Mitsubishi Car mechanic fixed with the contact to TPS but didn´t work and after that they had no clue what to do. After 2 months of my selfe trying to figure out the cause, changing senors MAF and so on and with diagnostic instrument to live record all data from the car I finally solved it.

The EGR system was causing it all. In the EGR valve it was a lot of sot. This sot get solved up when driving i rain and when engine got hot the valve opend and part os the sot came lose and blocked the turbo. In winter the EGR not open so oftly as I have and short bit to drive to work and therefore i allows to build up more sot before it cracks and gets away in the system. I have now cleaned up the EGR house where it was most sot. The pipes was just i minor amount.

This was what I thought intill now. After several months of no problem it now came back. After a new deep dive in possible solutions and after replacing MAP-sensor and air intake throttle valve without success I replaced the more expensive EGR valve and that solved it. Happy but not quite satisfied I wanted to understand what caused the problem. The EGR valve is not so easy to take apart so I had to cut the plastic to see the engine. and the connectors inside. I found that the electric engine turns around itself when working and have sliding connectors. On the connectors surface it was areas that was grey , and not shiny and this caused bad connection in just some positions. Even if the inspection of the valve and the rod did not give any indication of leak in to the engine house there was a lot of sot that came out after a wash out with some petrol. After a gently cleaning the connectors with sandpaper I got a fine shiny surface and a a working EGR valve.
I think this was a very interesting fact and I have read a lot of forum with intermittent problem and power los without solutions and therefore like to share my results and hope I can help other with problem as mine.
/Rikard

·
Administrator
2021 MR Triton
702 Posts
Thanls for the info. The EGR valves do cause some issues with power loss. Another sign is scoring on the shaft of the valves, this is a sign of them sticking.

Does your car have DPF? If so, are you using the correct low ash oil? This can cause more soot

1 - 2 of 2 Posts