Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering an 05 XLS, but want to make sure I'll be able to create a direct link to my iPod. I do not want an FM modulator. Anybody know if you can add a simple AUX in cable to the stock Infinity system? Alternately, any other iPod ideas?

T

·
0 Posts
You cannot hardwire your IPOD or any MP3 player into the the stock Infiniti system for the XLS or Limited Endeavor models.

The Matsushita audio head for this system DOES NOT have an auxiliary audio input. You need an aux input to do something like this (there are a number of manufacturers that have audio converter boxes to do this, but if you do not have an aux input to plug them into, you are out of luck...) I spoke with my dealer mechanic about this and that's what he said... there is 13-pin DIN input on the Matsushita audio head, but the mechanic said that is for an amplifier (if you want to add more watts to you stock system...)

To hardwire an MP3 player, you will need an aftermarket sound system. Cructfield sells a number of Endeavor 'compatable' systems with aux inputs as well as an endeavor mounting kit but I am not sure what 'compatable' means... all the aftermarket systems have their own LED face plates and I can't imagine they would interface properly with the XLS/Limited LCD display screen... so I would guess that you would need to do some sort of cut-out on the Audio/Climate Control console to provide access to the faceplate for controls and I would not expect the aftermarket system to integrate with the LCD screen or it's audio control features.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not positive about '05, but I'm guessing your Mech was guessing. On most prior years, the 13 pin (round plug, square pin pattern) was to hook up the optional 6 disk in-dash CD changer. But that doesn't change the answer much. I've been searching a couple weeks and haven't found a pre-made adapter to convert the CD-Changer input to an AUX input. Pin designations are available at http://carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Mitsubishi3.htm If anyone knows of an adapter for these units, please post!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is an '04 XLS w/ 6-CD Infiniti system...

The Mechanic is right... I showed him digital photo of my audio head, pointed to the input in question and he said w/o hesitation it was for an auxiliary amplifier...

Mitsu has been putting these 13-Pin Aux Amplifier inputs on their vehicle audio heads since 1995... here is the connector that integrates with it:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundmitsamp.htm

As for an audio interface box that will integrate with the CD-Changer input... I've had no luck either... both of these companies are major producers of these types of boxes and neither have much of anything for Mitsubishi stereos:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/home.asp

http://www.pie.net/

:(

Please advise if you find anything that works...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow!! You and me both brother. I have less only 18,000 miles on my Mitsubishi Endeavor Ltd, and yet I am going to sell it within 2 months if I cannot find a way to get an audio signal into the d*mn Infinitiy stereo.

All I can say is "*&$^#($!!". Boy was I ever dumb to purchase a car without any way to listen to MP3, casettes, Ipods, DVD output, etc. Although I like the integrated LCD display with climate, radio, navigation, etc. I really can't imagine reverting to FM transmitters to connect every little gadget. What design maestro thought up this limitation?! Did they thought that it would build customer loyalty? They probably stole a page from Verizon and the v710/E815 Bluetooth fiasco.

If anyone knows how to get a stereo or 4-channel signal into the Infinity pre-amp without destroying the head console connection, please educate us all.

Ellery (at) StarBus (dot) com.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why are you dead set against a FM adaptor? I'm using one in my Endeavor with my IPOD Nano and it works very well. I set FM to 107.7 and off I go. I'm in the NY Metro area so I don't know what happens if I find an area with 107.7 active but until I do, I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
6 Posts
O.K. that's a fair question. My answer:

1. I have good hearing. FM cuts out at about 17KHz and with very limited dynamic range.
2. s/n is acceptable, but not great. I am referring to "hiss"
3. Phase distortion from other transmitters, police radar and engine EMI
4. Yet another powered appliance. That means another set of batteries - or another cigarette lighter power plug. With cell phone charger, radar detector, laptop brick etc, it's just a bigger mess!
5. I would prefer to find a 4 channel or 5.1 channel interface, so that I can enjoy surrond sound. This last one may be unrealistic. I am assumin that the Infinity radio accepts signals into 4 separate preamps.

P.S. You already got a Nano?! Nice job. Of course, now you need a video iPod. But I'm goign to wait until they put in a larger landscape mode screen.

·
Registered
94 Posts
StarBus
[post] Aug 8 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,739
Car: 1994 Mitsubishi Endeavor Ltd

1994 endeavor???

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's correct. I purchased my 2004 Endeavor in July 2003 on the same day that I first heard of it. What caused me to run down to the dealer was the fact that it had a tip-tronic transmission. That means that I can drive it as a clutchless manual, while my wife can use it as an Automatic...

On the plus side, the auto transmission is so graceful and smooth, that I rarely override it. On the down side, the mileage absolutely sucks. I get betweet 11 and 15.5 in mixed city/highway driving. At $60/tank, I feel like an environmental outlaw. I also recognize that this glutony support the people who brought down the World Trade Center (Mid-grade gas is about $3.10/gal in Massachusetts Oct 2005).

There were many on the lot to choose from. I chose the Ltd that the owner of the dealership was driving. It already ad 2500 miles on it.

It must seemt that I am a stickler for trivial details, but I recall how frustrating it was that my 1988 Jeep Cherokee Ltd had no cup holders. (before the Grand Cherokee was introduced). I swore that I would never be fooled again. Imagine using $0.95 over the window cup holder in a $23,000 SUV! (and that was back in '88)!

But this time, it was my own fault. Audio input is not a new concept. And even though mobile MP3 was not as big 2 years ago as it is now, it should have been obvious to me that I shouldn't lock myself into the media formats that are built into the dashboard. How stupid I was! I could have purchased a Toyota Highlander, a Nissan Pathfinder, or even the Olds Bravada (or a the new Jeep Tribute).

Ellery (at) StarBus (dot) com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whoops!!!! I see what you mean. I meant to say 2004 Endeavor -- not 1994 Endeavor. I shall correct my profile.

Thanks for pointing it out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
regarding Ipod into system. My 04.5 has the factory DVD. I run the ipod into the RCA inputs in the overhad DVD player via a mini plug adapter. HAcky and the wire hangs but I do not like the FM Modulator either.

ps My mileage is horrible too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts