Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used the K&N performance air filter (http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm)? I'm reading reviews on it and I'm getting mixed opinions on this product. A co-worker of mine purchased one for his 2006 Mustang V6 and he said he could tell a difference in acceleration and also was getting better gas mileage. I asked the person at Advance Auto and he said he couldn't tell a difference in the performance of his car or his gas. It seem to affect some cars different than others.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
You will get a boost in gas mileage by about 1-2 mpg. You will not feel too much of a gain, your mind will trick you though because of the sound of the intake.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
the plus side to the k and n is that you don't have to by another air filter again. it pays for it self.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response.

How long have you all had the filter in your car? Some people said that the check engine light eventually came on and the problem was that the fuel injectors went bad as a result of the filter. This was seen in a 2007 Hyundai Accent. Another complained that their exhaust smelled like rotten eggs after installing the filter and that the filter let in to much air in and ruined the air fuel mixture. This came from a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis.

This came from a person driving a Jeep with the filter:

"Checked on the Jeep after some gravel pit runs, and lo-and-behold, dust coated on the inside of the intake tube. This was with less than 2000 miles on a well oiled filter. They work great on the street/strip, but are not a good choice for off-road dusty conditions."

Some also complained about the oil that you can aid to the filter and cause MAF sensor damage.

I'm beginning to be more and more skeptical about purchasing one for I do not want to damage my car. If you are only doing street driving, the filter seems to work fine, but if you're going to the beach or anywhere that has a lot of dust, it would probably be wise to switch back to the regular filter.

Guess I could ditch this air filter idea all together and spend the extra money and purchase a cold air intake system. Doubt it would help my gas mileage, but at least I would get the extra performance.

Any comments is recommended. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
If the air fuel mixture goes bad, it's because they didn't reset the ECU like you are supposed to.

I have had mine on my 2002 eclipse for about 20,000 miles... 1 year or so. I had one on a 1991 eclipse for about 40,000 miles, oiled it once a year, and it never had any problems.

If you do have any problems though, I believe K&N had a warranty stating that if the product damages the vehicle, they will pay the damage.

It is a good product, you will see more success stories than bad stuff. And if you are worried about damage to your vehicle, a cold air will only make it worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only know the basics about cars. So when I change this air filter, I should reset my ECU, why is that? How do you reset the ECU?

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
You reset it by unplugging the battery for about 15 minutes and then idleing the car for about 15 minutes.

You are supposed to because the directions say so.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have one in my 06 but I have had it in the car for about a 1 1/2 years but I dont remember if it made any difference. If you browse this forum there are people complaining that when they put a CAI on their cars their CEL came on. That is one problem I havent had with the K&N.

·
Registered
322 Posts
odd i have had my CAI on for about a year and have had no problems nor had to change the filter. also depending on any other mods you might have you could see some where between 4-5 hp gain.

not to drag you away from here but if you want faster responce you can check out www.club4geclipse.com/forums. there is alot of people there and they have done lots of things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts