Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Mitusbishi Lancer OZ Rally (5-spd Manual). When I'm driving I get this knocking sound (which I can only describe as the sound from the pod racers in star wars episode 1) that seems to come from just in front of the dash, pretty much in the engine compartment. I can hear it happen when I just let off of the clutch, and it seems to respond to the speed of the car. That is the faster the car is going the quicker it knocks. If i'm pressing on the gas or break or if i push in the clutch all the way i'll get the sound. I don't seem to get the sound if I'm in reverse though.

The clutch only has about 2,000 miles on it, and although i'm new to driving manual i've been told my driving is not harmful to the clutch.

there's also squeaking when i steer at very low speed, i'm thinking this might be the tie rod ends or something of that sort. but as well i need new springs (they squeak badly) so i'm not ruling that out.

can anyone help me out with this? anyone know what the knocking sound is? my check engine light has come on, but it's the warm cat/o2 sensor from what my scan tool has told me and what i've read on this site.

·
Registered
168 Posts
what you're hearing is when combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder starts off correctly in response to ignition by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front.

...which is why the faster you are accelerating, the faster it occurs... its your engine. I would suggest a higher grade fuel to start, but if its the lancer, it should only need 87. The difference in the octane rating just measures how easily the fuel can be compressed (aka compression ratio).

idk if this would help... but a new PCV valve?
anyone want to confirm this?

hope that helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't that be a misfire though if the air/fuel mixture wasn't firing outside the normal combustion front? i've got a scan tool software for my laptop that has misfire detection or something of the sort (haven't gotten to playing with that section of the program yet), i'll have to plug that in and check it out.

if nothing else i'll also try the next up octane and see if that helps at all.

thanks for your response SteelEvo

·
Registered
168 Posts
hey no prob, and yes, that is a misfire, lol,...well not lol cuz its a problem... but yeah, might wanna get that fixed soon.

if u want more info, i found this for you: http://www.aa1car.com/random-misfire/

hope that helps

Car Engine Misfires Poor Running - Tune Up

Engine Miss Fire and Rough Running Condition

There are three kinds of gasoline engine misfire scenarios, first there is the "under load" misfire and there is the "at engine idle" misfire, and finally there is misfire continuously. All engine misfires exist because one of three things has occurred. First, a cylinder has lost compression, a cylinder needs a certain amount of compression to operate correctly. Second, the ignition system has failed or is failing intermittently, spark is needed at the time of compression to ignite the fuel air mixture. Third, the fuel air mixture is incorrect, proper mixture is needed for the ignition system to ignite fuel properly. If any of these conditions occur in the engine, the engine will misfire.

1. Low or no compression can be caused by

a. burned or leaking intake or exhaust valves
b. worn or broken piston or piston rings
c. worn out camshaft
d. wrong weight motor oil was installed holding the cam followers from adjusting
e. broken valve spring
f. failed head gasket.

2. Ignition system has failed or is failing

a. spark plug has fouled or is worn out
b. ignition coil has failed
c. spark plug wires have shorted
e. engine control module coil driver has failed

3. Fuel/Air Mixture is incorrect

a. vacuum leak at the intake manifold
b. fuel injector has failed
c. EGR valve is stuck open
d. mass air flow sensor has failed
e. oxygen sensor has failed
f. air intake boot is cracked

Most vehicles can monitor the cylinder misfire condition and will illuminate the "service engine soon" light if a cylinder misfire has been detected. A engine code reader is used to read the trouble codes and can isolate the cylinder malfunction. See Checking Trouble Codes after the repair is complete the "service engine soon" light must be reset with a code reader. The vehicle has to be driven thoroughly (30 to 60 miles) to let all computer monitors and relearn their system to deem the vehicle repaired.

common problems:

1. fuel injector has failed or is failing

2. spark plug wire has shorted

3. spark plug is worn out or is cracked

4. ignition coil has failed is failing

^^^ that article is from http://www.2carpros.com/topics/misfires.htm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*Update*

Had my car inspected today along with an alignment (cuz i got 4 new tires last fri but never had it aligned). The inspection plus my scan tool showed there is no misfire, however as the car was on the alignment rack the tech noticed that there was a lot of play in the ball joints which could cause the sound i was hearing (which lowered in volume for whatever reason) which was also corroborated by a slight vibration in the brake pedal that i hadn't previously thought anything of.

thanks again for all the help. now i have to save up money for more fixes heh. fun <sarcasm>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts