Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Mitsubish L200/Triton (4D56 engine) 178 hp 2.5L diesel. Recently I have had a few issues with the engine suddenly dying while driving.

The first time I was driving on a really bad road. It was muddy and bumpy, and the engine just died. I turned the ignition off, and was then able to start it again. The check engine light went on, but since I was really in a hurry I just kept going. I read the fault codes later on, and they were all about different electrical errors.

Yesterday I was driving slowly on a pretty good road. The conditions were slightly wet, but not very much. The engine suddenly died. I stopped, turned the ignition off, and then started it again. Check engine light did not go on.

Today, while driving at a moderate speed, the engine started stuttering. I noticed that all instruments seemed to be working correctly, except for the tachometer which was flickering/shaking for a second or two. The engine then suddenly started to run OK again. The tachometer worked as usual. No check engine light.

I have not made any troubleshooting yet, but I should probably check a few things. I have a few ideas:
  1. The error is probably electrical.
  2. I should check all electrical ground points. Can anyone indicate to me where to find these.
  3. Could the crankshaft angle sensor be faulty?
  4. Are there any relays which can fail, causing the engine to shut down?
  5. Does anyone have a complete electrical diagram for the car? I have struggled to find this.
I am happy for any input on this. Maybe someone have experienced the same issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This weekend, the engine cut out again. I was driving at moderate speed. The weather was wet, but it was not raining heavily. The road was in overall good condition (not bumpy).

The engine just cut out without warning. It could have happened when releasing the accelerator pedal but I'm not sure. After coasting to a stop, the engine started again at first try.

I got a whole bunch of fault codes:
P0219 - Engine overspeed
P1274 - Supply pump protection
P1275 - Supply pump exchange
P0335 - Crankshaft position sensor

Because of all these different errors, I guess the error might be related to power supply. Some kind of very short cut out of electrical power maybe.
Might there be a problem with the alternator?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think I've joined the engine cut out club, I can feel it go when its struggling to keep revs then just cuts out as if you've turned off the ignition..? is that the same as you guys..? did you find a cure to your problems..?
Cheers from Bonnie Scotland
Stew B

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
535 Posts
There is an old known problem with the cam and cranks sensors getting water in them. The fault code associated with this was the overspeed one. The remedy was to replace both the sensors and the short wiring links that attach to them directly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is an old known problem with the cam and cranks sensors getting water in them. The fault code associated with this was the overspeed one. The remedy was to replace both the sensors and the short wiring links that attach to them directly.
Interesting to hear. I have certainly been suspecting the crank sensor. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to reach. My plan has been to change it at the next timing belt replacement - which is coming up in not too long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts