Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna start by saying hi. I hate my first post being a question, but I really need some help here.

I have a 2005 Ourlander with a 2.0 4G63 N/A engine (AWD and manual) that I bought for dirt cheap as a winter car. This thing is already giving me a massive headache. Full text below and I'll try to get a TLDR going at the bottom, this is a long one!

My Outlander is jerking and hesitiating on full throttle but around 50% it acts normal(most of the time) The fuel efficiency is also horrendous (2.4l pr 10km!) and theres been a random misfire going. It's struggeling really bad to reach high RPMs, even in nautral just revving it. Every now and then it works fine for a few seconds untill I for example stop or engage the clutch to change gears. Sometimes I can barely go past 2000rpm, but shutting it off and on again fixes that.

First attempt:
When I bought it, it had a CEL that indicated a misfire on cyl-1. The PO said he had narrowed it down to a bad coil. I replaced both coils and both plug wires and checked the plugs, which looked OK but not great. I also replaced the air filter, I have not tried driving the car without it.
The car got better, but it was still really bad.

Second attempt:

After a few days of driving, the car stayed the same but I got a new CEL indicating a bad coolant temp sensor, this error was erratic and not constant, sensor was replaced. The plugs were also gapped to 1mm during this.

Same day I hecked the battery and alternator, the battery was alright but needed a recharge while the alternator was healthy. (I had a car-electrician with experience since '71 help me vertify this).

After this there were again no change, expect the misfire light on cyl-1 came back. This was due to a defective plug wire, so I switched back to the old one. Light disappeared but the car ran like **** still.
I checked the TPS with a tool connected it it seems to be working as it should, readings were good and unplugging it made revs impossible. The MAF also reacted to me flooring it, but I have nothing to vertify it with so I do not know if it's working 100% correctly. Unplugging it made no real difference on anything while driving, maybe slighty worse.

After a while I suspected a clogged exhaust so I disconnected it below front of the catalysator underneath the car. No difference in how it ran there either. (The first cat/box thing might still be clogged for all I know, but the headers arent hotter than what one would expect and the rest of the exhaust reach normal temperatures.)
I filled with some fresh 98 octane fuel and went for a drive at high revs, it ran somewhat better on 98 octane compared to 95, but not a whole lot.

Third attempt:
This was when I decided to just replace the spark plugs. I got some NGK BPR6ES-11 plug and put them in, no difference in how it ran except I suddenly had a misfire on cyl-4 while driving. cleared it, checked how the connector for the coil was sittin gand took a test drive, no misfire light but the car was still driving badly. I checked all the injectors for a constant ticking sound and all four ticks consistently at idle. I have a set of Bosch Super 4 WR91 plugs laying around I might also try, but I doubt there will be any difference.

TLDR:
My ourlander runs like garbage and uses a whole lot of fuel. It struggles really bad to build revs, especially while driving but usually in neutral as well.
Every now and then, it clears up and acts normal for a few seconds.
Plugs, coils, air filter and a coolant temp sensor have been replaced.
TPS is not showing any signs of being bad and the readings are normal.
Maf is reading something, but unsure if it is doing so correctly.
All injectors are making normal noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Done some more testing.

All cylinders have compression. The differences in pressure between the cylinders is within margin of error. All injectors show 14ohms resistance and all the injectors get a stable 12v power. The sound also was rechecked with a stethoscope and they all tick normally during idle(I have yet to try this while revving)
Upon driving for a while with a diagnositic tool connected I feel the MAF signal is a bit slow and unprecise. The TPS also never got to above 99.2% when the car was warm. I think I'll throw a new MAF at the car and see if that does anything at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanna start by saying hi. I hate my first post being a question, but I really need some help here.

I have a 2005 Ourlander with a 2.0 4G63 N/A engine (AWD and manual) that I bought for dirt cheap as a winter car. This thing is already giving me a massive headache. Full text below and I'll try to get a TLDR going at the bottom, this is a long one!

My Outlander is jerking and hesitiating on full throttle but around 50% it acts normal(most of the time) The fuel efficiency is also horrendous (2.4l pr 10km!) and theres been a random misfire going. It's struggeling really bad to reach high RPMs, even in nautral just revving it. Every now and then it works fine for a few seconds untill I for example stop or engage the clutch to change gears. Sometimes I can barely go past 2000rpm, but shutting it off and on again fixes that.

First attempt:
When I bought it, it had a CEL that indicated a misfire on cyl-1. The PO said he had narrowed it down to a bad coil. I replaced both coils and both plug wires and checked the plugs, which looked OK but not great. I also replaced the air filter, I have not tried driving the car without it.
The car got better, but it was still really bad.

Second attempt:

After a few days of driving, the car stayed the same but I got a new CEL indicating a bad coolant temp sensor, this error was erratic and not constant, sensor was replaced. The plugs were also gapped to 1mm during this.

Same day I hecked the battery and alternator, the battery was alright but needed a recharge while the alternator was healthy. (I had a car-electrician with experience since '71 help me vertify this).

After this there were again no change, expect the misfire light on cyl-1 came back. This was due to a defective plug wire, so I switched back to the old one. Light disappeared but the car ran like **** still.
I checked the TPS with a tool connected it it seems to be working as it should, readings were good and unplugging it made revs impossible. The MAF also reacted to me flooring it, but I have nothing to vertify it with so I do not know if it's working 100% correctly. Unplugging it made no real difference on anything while driving, maybe slighty worse.

After a while I suspected a clogged exhaust so I disconnected it below front of the catalysator underneath the car. No difference in how it ran there either. (The first cat/box thing might still be clogged for all I know, but the headers arent hotter than what one would expect and the rest of the exhaust reach normal temperatures.)
I filled with some fresh 98 octane fuel and went for a drive at high revs, it ran somewhat better on 98 octane compared to 95, but not a whole lot.

Third attempt:
This was when I decided to just replace the spark plugs. I got some NGK BPR6ES-11 plug and put them in, no difference in how it ran except I suddenly had a misfire on cyl-4 while driving. cleared it, checked how the connector for the coil was sittin gand took a test drive, no misfire light but the car was still driving badly. I checked all the injectors for a constant ticking sound and all four ticks consistently at idle. I have a set of Bosch Super 4 WR91 plugs laying around I might also try, but I doubt there will be any difference.

TLDR:
My ourlander runs like garbage and uses a whole lot of fuel. It struggles really bad to build revs, especially while driving but usually in neutral as well.
Every now and then, it clears up and acts normal for a few seconds.
Plugs, coils, air filter and a coolant temp sensor have been replaced.
TPS is not showing any signs of being bad and the readings are normal.
Maf is reading something, but unsure if it is doing so correctly.
All injectors are making normal noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this experienced before.
Observations

1. Reversing total lost of power (aircon on)
2 Car hard to accelerate uphill
3. Slight trembling when reversing
4. Slight trembling of transmission engine at 75kph to 80kph then goes away.
5. When come full stop or giveway, trembling is experience before
6. When turning left/right trembling is experience
7. Car slow in acceleration.

Replacing all spark plug and air filter solved the issue. Still running great at 378,000km.
20210512_203702.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts