Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This might be a little stretched out but bear with me. I'm considering buying a project Lancer and upgrading it. My budget is about 14k.

I'm looking into buying a 02-03 Lancer for about 4k (I have a friend who is a dealer) which should leave me with about 10k for parts and labor. I've read the upgrade thread on this forum, and gotten ideas from other people and shops. I know first things first, I should get a turbocharger. I was considering the kit from roadracemotorsports. Then the exhaust (magnaflow) and intake which should take me to about 5k not counting the labor to get all that stuff professionally put in. Which I assume would be about 1500-1800. Then I'm sort off at a loss as of what to do to get the maximum bang for my buck so to speak.

Also, I've seen it mentioned here that a Lancer will never truly be fast, is that true? with a turbo and exhaust what kind of HP are we talking about here? What's the max you guys think I can get on my budget? Is it even really worth trying to convert a Lancer to a performance car? What about engine wear, obviously an 02-03 Lancer will have some miles on it, would it even be safe putting a turbo kit on it? or am I going to have something breaking down every week, since (as I've read from reviews) Lancers aren't all too reliable to begin with.

Sorry if some of the questions are dumb, or been asked before. I just wanted to get some experienced opinions from outside sources since most tuning shop people i've spoke to in my area start salivating and doing their best to hide erections when I tell them about all the work I want done. :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
If you want big power and reliability, a full engine rebuild is in order. A rebuild, turbo kit, engine management, and a good tune will provide soem good numbers along with reliability. All that, then enjoy teh wheelhop, and teh fading away of your tranny. Save up a few more grand and get an evo. You'll be much happier.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
First off, the Lancer is a very reliable car. Once you throw a turbo on, that's a different story.

If you want my honest opinion. Find a different car. One with all-wheel-drive or rear wheel drive. I don't see the point in making a performance car out of the base model Lancer.

Even with a full engine rebuild, turbo, and tuning the car will still be slower than an Evo.

Save your money and get an Evo. Yes, it costs more (you'll be lucky if you find one for 20K, or you could find a salvaged Evo). You'll be happy with the car right away. It's got plenty of power, and a ton more potential.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses,

ehh, I can't really get an Evo, I've already considered it but my wife won't let me get any manual cars. We were actually asked to leave a dealership after she test drove one.

You mentioned I should find a different car to mod, do you have any suggestions? maybe I came off wrong, but I'm not trying to build a 800hp sports car, but a quick, powerful daily driver... half sports car? well, you get my drift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 6'5, I have a difficult time fitting all my limbs in it and such :(

I've seen all these sites with people claiming they modded their Lancers to 230-250hp with stock engines, now I would be fine with that, but is it actually realistic? ie, how long will those kinds of cars run before they break down, or do something altogether more sinister?

I'm ok with getting some extra engine work done, pistons, rods, or whatever else so long as it is reliable.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Originally posted by GePavlov@Feb 19 2008, 05:59 PM
I'm 6'5, I have a difficult time fitting all my limbs in it and such :(
I've seen all these sites with people claiming they modded their Lancers to 230-250hp with stock engines, now I would be fine with that, but is it actually realistic? ie, how long will those kinds of cars run before they break down, or do something altogether more sinister?

I'm ok with getting some extra engine work done, pistons, rods, or whatever else so long as it is reliable.
[snapback]143606[/snapback]​

With budget you have set, i'd pass on a lancer. A GSX would better suit you, and being 6 foot 5 is nothing to wrooy about. You 'll have room to spare. You can pick up auto's fairly easy. Plus they look way better anyways.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey if your going to stick with a turbo just do it... and if you can get a lancer for only like 4k thats a good price... i got a lancer oz rally and i got it for a good price and i love it... its reliable... its fun to drive and its has a sharp look to it when you get some stuff done to it.... yes the eclipse is nice looking and faster but look around everyone owns a eclipse....all styles of them to... dont get me wrong if i saw one come by me for cheap id snap it up.... i love the 2nd gen ones and thats the best looking ones..but anyways the lancer isnt fast right off the start we all know that but with some research and all and a nice intake and headers back exhaust it helps alot.... my body has a automatic lancer with headers and full exhaust and intake and pulleys and cams.... and he dynoed at about 175hp or 180hp i believe...thats close to the new honda civic si's....im looking and debating getting a turbo in my lancer its a auto aslo... once i get some more info im going to probly get one and ill be happy with it ..... im not looking to have like 3-4-5-600 hp... i just want to be able to know i have the power under the hood and can smoke a neon,cavi,honda,scion..... the lancer is a nice car and is fun.... just get it for that price and if not happy in a year or 2 sell it....

·
Registered
8 Posts
i agree i have a o2 oz and its great, besides i think it would be better to build a lancer just for the challenge, i mean anybody can get a evo and do little things to it to make it alot faster but wheres the fun in that. buildin cars is supposed to creative whats creative bout gettin an evo or an eclipse that everoybodys done a million times over. build the lancer youll enjoy it more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts