Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed some dripping from the centre of the case(where it looks like there is a seam) but it is also wet at the front near where the driveshaft bolts on.was wondering if this case is indeed in two halves with a seal in between? Any bolts that might have come loose causing the leak? If it is a seal how much cost is involved in replacement? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Most likely your leaking from the front seal and it's running back to lowest point of differential. Any mechanic can change this seal fairly easily. 3 screws hold the shaft and one nut olds the yoke. Then with proper tools pop the old seal and tap in the new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue and the same question. It looks like the front is the leak but since there is a seal further back that is also covered in fluid its hard to know where. I know at least the front seal should be replaced just by the fluid that has been thrown up on the bottom of the car as the centrifugal force flips it out as the drive shaft spins.
So that is a starting point....I have heard there is both ATF and Oil in the differential because of the electronic locking function. I have a 2010 Outlander GT AWD with a switch to choose from Tarmac to Snow to Lock.
Is that the case? I have not found anywhere online to see

I discovered the leak because of a thumping sound which I cannot locate. based on other forum topics it might be some differential supports but I have not yet identified any that look problematic.
Anybody got any tips on how to check this? I cant see under the car when its on the ground and I am afraid if I put it on jacks that there will be no resistance on the wheels and it will not be the same as when I shift from reverse to drive while on the ground dealing with resistance. (yes, I do completely stop before changing from Rev to Drive)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts