Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 SE - 3.8L with 141,000 miles. Timing Belt done 32,000 miles ago.
Sat for a day in garage. Pulled it out to do garage stuff pulled it back in. Next morning no start.
Turns over won't start. When turning over all most sounds like busted timing belt. Scared me!!!.
Pulled top covers and checked. On time and tight. Checked voltage at Cam Sensor 2.7v no variation.
Get new Cam Sensor No Go. Check spark and compression.
Spark yes, NO compression o_O Go straight to bathroom to change skivvies. :poop:
Come out and researched on Identifix. Found write up saying:
"Found low compression, lifters were not pumped up. Changed engine oil and filter, has been starting and running fine since."
So I check oil dipstick, in range. Did oil & filters 800 miles ago. For the fun of it add a qt or so. let it sit. Crank it over several times like a cold stubborn diesel and she fires up. Let her idle for several minutes, rev her up sounds fine. Drive to auto parts to get Lucas Additive + Oil + Filter.
Came back got lazy, 3 hrs later starts with no problem. Too late and cold (just ? lazy) to change oil tonight.
Any one run into this problem?? Is it a common problem?? (Not the lazy part)
Any preventive fixes so the wife doesn't get stranded?

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
241 Posts
Engine flooded with fuel. Excess fuel on cold start when pulling car out of garage, added to excess fuel on cold restart when putting car back in equals to Cylinder walls washed clear of oil causing low compression and sounding like timing belt snapped. Best advice is if you have to do a cold start, run engine for a while, go around the block, anything to burn off the excess fuel.

Excess fuel ends up in sump, if it happens a lot or if you keep cranking it you risk igniting the fuel oil mixture. V6 or V8 particularly troublesome to restart. Removing fuel pump fuse and trying to start can help, worst case is removing and drying plugs.

Reactions: daplatten

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine flooded with fuel. Excess fuel on cold start when pulling car out of garage, added to excess fuel on cold restart when putting car back in equals to Cylinder walls washed clear of oil causing low compression and sounding like timing belt snapped. Best advice is if you have to do a cold start, run engine for a while, go around the block, anything to burn off the excess fuel.

Excess fuel ends up in sump, if it happens a lot or if you keep cranking it you risk igniting the fuel oil mixture. V6 or V8 particularly troublesome to restart. Removing fuel pump fuse and trying to start can help, worst case is removing and drying plugs.

This sounds very likely. When I pulled her back in and shut her off I did get a weird feeling, one of those you hear but ignore. I know better then start - load up engine then shut off. In a rush.
You believe this fuel issue is still possible after sitting a few days?
The morning it didn't start was the 24th. Worked on it the 25th I couldn't get the sensor because of Christmas. The 26th I didn't start messing with it till late day with new sensor. In my mind fuel would evaporate by then.
I can see the washed cylinders = no compression. This could also equal diluted oil not pumping lifters up.
Thanks for the help it all make sense! OPERATOR ERROR

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
241 Posts
Fuel wont evaporate, it just sits there on the spark plugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts