Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help- I'm in love with my LRV Sport AWD, but It's having what feels like an electrical problem...Engine power cuts out and I hear the clicking sound like relays resetting or something up behind the glove box, and then it goes live again...cuts out major at freeway speeds....not so much around town...Once and a while it dies totally (occasionally even in park) and will re-start in neutral or park...I read about the bad Mitzie ECU so I got a Re-built Unit and had it installed at the dealer and it DIDN't solve the problem...Whenever the electrical power cuts out, it's accompanied by the clicking sounds from the firewall area (behind the glovebox) and then the power will resume... We love this little LRV and we just recently got it, so having this problem is both upsetting and expensive...Has anyone else had this problem ??
Remember- we just replaced the ECM and it can quit either in gear (automatic) or in park......HELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPP

·
Registered
48 Posts
Electrical problems can be a bear. Is your engine a 1.8L? I had a problem with my distributor power transistor / pickup going bad twice. This was a problem up to 1994 I believe. I also replaced one of my distributors with one brand new from ebay and it failed also even though it was supposed to be an upgraded design. It was replaced under warranty but not until after I had to tow my car 1000 miles. I have replaced another '94 with a 1995 pickup and have had no further problems. I carry a spare pickup in my glove box. They're cheap from junkyards. It may also be that you have a problem with your fuel pump electrics or a ground / shorting problem somewhere. I would start with your ignition and fuel. Hope this helps. I have three lrv's and a five door all 16valve 2.4L engines. They all have over 100,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im 90 percent sure your problem is a relay that is located behind the glovebox. its function is to turn off the fuel pump in case of an accident. The reason the engine is cutting out is due to the relay cutting out. You could simply take the cover off and jam the contacts so they are always on (except when the key is off) but that could be dangerous in the case of an accident as the fuel pump would keep pumping fuel into a potential fire

the better bet is to buy a new relay. Parts for this can be a P.I.The A. to find.
however , I just went though this and the part number MD175834 - RElay Eng E

I have a brand new unused one - paid 70 bucks - yours for 30.00

there is also the possibility that the ECU that powers this relay (my situation)i s bad but you stated that you replaced that.

I had the same vehicle and it was without question the best car- van that I have ever owned!
good luck for more info on the relay: [email protected]
snick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, ShockHawk, I'm having the same problem as you!
I've bought the car into 2 separate repair shops , but both tell me there are NO mechanical problems.
Both have told me that its either the ECU or the power supply to the ECU.
I personally believe that its the power supply overcharging or undercharging.
How do we fix our problem? I love this little beast and I really want to get her fixed.
The clicking sounds you hear behind the glove box, I get that too, my mechanic says its from the ECU. But mine starts to get a strong electric burning smell from prolonged drives... strange

P.S. mine is a 95 petrol turbo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts