Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 lancer oz manual trans. SOHC 2.0lt Engine, ajen cool intake and thats it.. i bought the car used 8 months ago and the only thing i've done too it is clean the air filter and oil changes. basically i just want more punch when i take off.. my 0 to 60 is like 6 or 7 seconds. not to sure cause i never clocked it but very slow. im wondering what i could do to get it off the starting line a little faster. im eventually gonna get catback exhaust and headers but i really didn't want to do to much work on a SOHC.. but i was also told that i couldnt' put a DOHC in my car becuase i would have to change out the chassie and mounts and it would become very expensive and better off buying a used evo.. any advice?

G

·
i highly doubt your getting to 60 in 6-7 sec. your tiny 2.0L 120 HP stock motor will go from 0-60 in 10.4 sec stock, and trust me a cold air intake is not going to change it from 10.4 to 6-7. i understand how you feel about it going slow though. problem is that when looking for more hp with a vehicle that has a brother or sister that is stock turbo charged it is hard for you to turbo charge your motor, because the internal on the engine were never meant to see boost.

however, there a a few things you can do before boost to help a little bit, but its not going to be massive. first switch to synthetic oil, do a complete tune up with: 8.5 NGK wires, and some NGK iridium plugs. buy a JDM cap and rotor(that is if your car has a distributor, i'm not sure because i own a G3 eclipse RS) get a JDM ignition coil. remember to line your spark plug so the open end of the plug points towards your intake. get a high flow muffler, or cat back system, but do not replace your catalytic converter for a high flow one as your engine needs specific back pressure due to certain emission tools and systems in your car to function correctly. buy a high output fuel pump, high pressure fuel regulator, high pressure fuel rail and 550 injectors. de-screen your Mass Airflow Sensor, bypass your AIT switch with a resistor. only use 91, 92, or 93 octane fuels (whichever is in your local area), and get a jetting chip or a ECU flash tuned towards your recent modifications. i can't really tell you the HP gain that this will give you, but i can tell you that it is noticeable, not just by feel. you will have at least 1 1/2 sec. to 3 sec. off your 0-60. which is very much a noticeable amount.

anything else is a major modification like internal engine work and putting on a turbo charger. also lightening up your vehicle can help, but until you get into turbo applications i don't suggest you go for that. you can even look into doing a head swap form SOHC to DOHC. but its basically up to you bro. whichever makes you feel good, i say do it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what your saying is it is gonna cost me more to hook this car up and its not really worth doing all the work to it cause its a weak motor. and i can't head swap it.. what car would you think would be best for a project car that is very easy to work on and easy to swap things on and off of and of course inexpensive car?>

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
a Turbo 1G DSM... you pick one up for 1000 drop 800 in to it have it run great. and another 3k will put you tetering on 11's

·
Registered
25 Posts
amen to that.. my 1g has no comp with the lancer... i bought the eclipse for 600 and i have a couple grand to play with.. they are cheap and have potential to turn head especially when you get on it and boost the car up... and the ladys love it.. keep that in mind and find one.. later

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am personally satisfied with the power, but would like to open up the power band a little bit. Now bear in mind that I am completely unfamiliar with the torque curve but from the basic seat of the pants feel, it seems like when you shift even at 6000, it drops to 3750 which is out of the power band. Is there a way to broaden it out and make it less peaky? I've already searched this issue on this make and model but have not come to a clear answer on what to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts