Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has enyone fitted a gas kit to the 1.8 gdi car and what's you opinions? which kit is the best?
:beer:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I see I got lots of people looking at my question but no reply's!.
I have managed to find the info I was looking for so will now share it with you all
The GDI engine requires the injectors inside the cylinders to be lubricated and cooled by the flow of fuel through them, so normal LPG kits are no good as cutting the fuel to the injectors would damage them! there is however a way around this! one company has developed a conversion for GDI engines that supplies a small amount of petrol to the internal injectors while supplying LPG to the inlet track for combustion. I am fitting this system to my 1.8 GDI at present and anyone who want more info just has to ask! I will let you all know the saving make in running costs over the next few months.
Tom

[email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested to hear how the economics of this work out - the GDI is not after all a big gas guzzler to start with! How much did it cost you to convert?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get the main kit for about £500 and I have a Tank but that would cost you about £200 then 165 for the setup wiring to the laptop again I have access to this, then fitting about a Day maybe two ! so £350 to £400 for you although Its somthing I will do myself, I'll not have time for next three or four weeks but will keep you informed.
tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
So around £1000 to convert for a mere mortal like me - obviously you're halving that by doing the work yourself and having the tank already. On the basis of £50 for a full tank of unleaded being the equivalent of around £30 (?) of LPG, that equates to £20 saving per full tank, very roughly! So I'd need to fill up from empty 50 times in order to recover the £1000 - you on the other hand should recover your costs in 25 or so fill ups.

One interesting thing though is that as the catalytic converter is no longer required with LPG, and as it is more economical to convert to LPG than it is to replace a cat, it would obviously make sense to do that should your cat ever die.

Also, if you're in London, the LPG would exempt you from the congestion charge I think, which could quickly earn the money back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tomblyth @ Aug 26 2007, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I see I got lots of people looking at my question but no reply's!.
I have managed to find the info I was looking for so will now share it with you all
The GDI engine requires the injectors inside the cylinders to be lubricated and cooled by the flow of fuel through them, so normal LPG kits are no good as cutting the fuel to the injectors would damage them! there is however a way around this! one company has developed a conversion for GDI engines that supplies a small amount of petrol to the internal injectors while supplying LPG to the inlet track for combustion. I am fitting this system to my 1.8 GDI at present and anyone who want more info just has to ask! I will let you all know the saving make in running costs over the next few months.
Tom

[email protected][/b]
Hi great I'm thinking of sorting out my gdi 3.5 l shogun please could u provide me with info on kit thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (billynoband @ Jul 19 2010, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
GDI engines are not suitable for lpg apparantly or anything that is direct injection. The lpg forum will help you. Good luck.[/b]
your wrong Vogas do a kit specifically for the GDI engine it bleeds a small amount of petrol throuth the injectors to cool there tips .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts