1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

So my car is not in the glory it once was,
On my list of "to do's" are the struts.

I wish to replace them, however, i would like to be able to change the springs to something more road-hugging.

Root issue: Should i replace my struts at home
If so, will i be able to fit some springs that will add better handling performance.

Please advise on how best to proceed.

Thank you Mitsu Dudes,
-c

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can do it at home. You just need a few specialty tools and a shop manual or Chilton's to do it right though. You'll need a spring compressor, strut top nut sockets, and metric sockets and wrenches that include at least up to 17mm. I bought my compressor from harbor freight for about $10-$15 and the top nut sockets from somewhere off the net for about $10 (Lisle brand). I went with the KYB/H&R combo mainly because I couldn't get Eibach, but you can basically get whatever you want because they would be better than stock in terms of performance anyways. Just do a some research before you commit to buying anything. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have done the job many times in my car garage...it takes longer time than in a garage shop...because of the equipment they have.. :57:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would someone please help me out with this strut replacement issue?

So I took off the struts from my car ... and compressed the coils till they were loose off my strut, then tried removing the self-locking nut on top of the strut, but it would always rotate with the screw it was tied to!!

I tried an impact wrench on it to undo this thing but same thing happened ... they rotate together. Went to Autozone and Pepboys and no one had a clue to the tool I would need to keep that screw in place while undoing the nut!!!

I have the 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage Service Manual and it had a "special spanner" tool that should be used along with a Torque wrench to hold the strut in place while the wrench removes that bolt. Of course couldn't find that tool anywhere.

Would really appreciate ANY kind of advice to what tool I need.

I also tried using different tools to hold the inner part of the strut in place while undoing the bolt ... but all failed :(

I did find a universal strut nut remover on ebay ... but all had a socket size of 3/4" which I guess isn't for my car ... (1999 Mitsubishi Mirage) ... a 17mm deep socket fitted exactly on the nut ... any idea where to find such removal tools for this strut???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts