Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who have had experience replacing the valve lash adjusters of the Mitsubitshi Chariot and who would be kind enough to share the experience with me.

The reason for wanting to replace the valve lash adjusters is that the valve train makes alot of noise and the valves produces the infamous "ticking" sound common in this model. I am told the problem lies in the older generation valve lash adjusters installed in these cars.

I am interested in knowing the pitfalls in this endeavour and also if there is a tool that can easily lift the rocker off the lash adjuster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't help you with the procedure but I *can* tell you that Mitsubishi's price for a set is outrageous. I'm not at home right now so can't tell you the place's name but I *think* it was Parts Dinosaur. His price was around US$96 for the set (16 required) whereas last time I checked Mitsi UK wanted GBP260 (roughly US$515...)

Hey! Found him here. They're even cheaper - US$5.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there

I bought the whole set of 16 for the equvalent of US$190 in Singapore (which by comparison to yours is expensive; should have done more research before buying them). I intend to replace all 16 soon and was hoping to get tips on how to do it.

It is quite an involved job to get to the lash adjusters as the whole air intake system has to be removed i.e. throttle body, intake manifold etc. before one can get to the valve cover and finally the lash adjusters. It would be good if I have a picture of the lash adjusters on their rockers with the valve cover removed so that I have an idea of how to remove them before the actual attempt at removing them.

Thanks

Vincent

·
Registered
13 Posts
does anyone have the lash adjuster/hydrualic lifter part number for the Mitsu Chariot 4g64 2.4L GDI or a picture of it? Appreciate help. I need to buy first before I open my engine, it's difficut to find parts here in the philippines, so might end looking for parts while my car sits inside the auto shop. thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (john grandis @ Jun 6 2011, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
does anyone have the lash adjuster/hydrualic lifter part number for the Mitsu Chariot 4g64 2.4L GDI or a picture of it? Appreciate help. I need to buy first before I open my engine, it's difficut to find parts here in the philippines, so might end looking for parts while my car sits inside the auto shop. thanks.[/b]

hi mr john, is your car fix already? if yes , where did you buy your parts like lash adjuster.

thanks, egaieskie03

·
Registered
13 Posts
@egaieskie03, I had it cleaned/bleed. the mechanic have to take valves out and cleaned with diesel, filled with fully synthetic oil and reinstalled. the ticking sound disappeared for a month but returned. Mechanic said that it really has to be replaced now. Had searched for the parts (MD171130), and original parts in Sucat area cost around 1, 200 pesos per piece. there's a replacement part in Mitsu Prime, both in Las Pinas and Imus and the're selling it for 500 pesos. I haven't replaced mine yet. it will cost 8000 for the lash adjusters, 3000 for the mechanic, and another 3000 for the fully synthetic oils and filters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
can anyone confirm if what I'm experiencing is related to the lifter ticks. Here's what's happening...

My lifter gives the ticking sound most of the time and there are times where I run quiet. I noticed that my acceleration is somehow in a low power when ever I have the tick and power is OK when I don't have the ticks. I also notice that when the ticking is present I also have a "pinging" sound when I rev up at idle. Does the ticking affects my acceleration?

Appreciate your insights. thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same car as you mitsubishi space Wagon Gdi 2,4 150Hp and i need lifters too. Do your guys know where i can buy it ? and where they shipp international ? Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (john grandis @ Sep 14 2011, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
can anyone confirm if what I'm experiencing is related to the lifter ticks. Here's what's happening...

My lifter gives the ticking sound most of the time and there are times where I run quiet. I noticed that my acceleration is somehow in a low power when ever I have the tick and power is OK when I don't have the ticks. I also notice that when the ticking is present I also have a "pinging" sound when I rev up at idle. Does the ticking affects my acceleration?

Appreciate your insights. thanks.[/b]

Hi John

The ticking sound is due to the lash i.e the gap between the rocker roller and the camshaft lobe. The cause is the adjusters are not able to extend sufficiently to close the gap. As the adjusters are hydraulically operated it therefore has to do with the adjusters itself or the oil and oil related problems such as viscosity of the oil you use , dirty oil etc.

If the ticking sound is there only when the engine is cold and goes off when engine is warm. It is normal for an old car. The reason being that parts have worn out but will still expand to within tolerance limits for the valvetrain to work quietly when the engine is warm.

Lash that cause the ticking sound will cause the valves to open and close outside the tolerance limit like an engine that really needs valve adjustment done on it. This affects engine compression and therefore power during acceleration.

As for the pinging, it is usually related to engine knock. The causes could be carbon build up on the pistons and firing chamber. Try using injector cleaner regularly. This works well in GDI because the cleaner is flushed direct into the firing chamber and piston surface together with the fuel and that's give better cleaning of the surfaces...try it. Also try higher octane fuel.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts