Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello lads from across the pond in Ireland.

Just joined the forum after reading it for over a year, so thought I'd share my build so far, helped along by the brilliant people who post here with information on outlanders that you can only have from experience!!

Anyway, its 2009 mk2 2.0 did (vw) engine. 190,000km

Remapped to 190hp (not proven)
Cold air intake for turbo noises.
Tinted front windows to match the stock rears,
Tinted the head and tail lights
Black side indicators
Chrome handles
Chrome mirrors
Steel type Rear tailgate protection
Black Wrapped door trims
Ez flares XL 2 inch wide (2 packets to do 4 arches.
Interior, black crocodile skin wrap on trims. Footwell led lights.
Diamond type, leather flooring with black stitches.
Jap style number plates,
Led bulbs all round.
HID 6000k
Ford ranger amber grill lights
Constantly Illuminated front indicator lights. USA style.
Rear led indicator lights with white leds on the same bulb, wired to reverse, so when in reverse 4 rear reverse lights come on. Very handy.

2 Inch Lift kit(spacers)
Ended up just rebuilding the entire suspension. The spacers are awesome, but you can't just slap in a lift kit onto your old suv and drive away. I learned there's a heap of other things neccassary to make it all work and handle Good.
New trailing arm bushings(worn after 1 year of lift and power upgrades, need to polybush)
All new Control arms front and rear.
New tie rod ends, tie rods.
New wheel bearings all round, heavy duty in the rear.
Full brake caliper system rebuild with new sliders, pistons and seals.
Refurbished ABS module.
New turbo
New engine mounts, with the front and rear mounts filled with polyurethane to handle the extra torque.
Polybushed rear diff mounts.
Rear diff Subframe mount filled with polyurethane also.
New Kyb Ra6227 heavy duty rear coils to eliminate rear sag.
New front springs
4x new bilstein shocks and top mount bearings.
New rear adjustable camber arms.
Front adjustable camber bolts.
New bushings all round.
Adjustable heavy duty droplinks up front. Rear drop links cut and welded 15mm smaller.

16x8, et0 steel wheels with larger 245/70/16 Cooper at3 all terrain tires.
Front wheel Wells trimmed to suits.

Blacked out exterior with a few chrome bits left. Warrior kit on the front. Searching for a rear spoiler, skid plates and side skid protection will have to be fabricated.

As she stands its practically a brand new vehicle, handles beautifully although it took about 8 time to the alignment center. The camber and rear tracking was difficult to perfect as the specs on the computer system don't line up with the new mods, obviously 馃榿 so custom set up more or less. Rear tracking is toed in fully, but id rather a bit more so looking at adjustable track arms on the rear.

I've definitely left stuff out, but shoot me a message if any questions.

for some videos of it.
Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

How it looks at the minute. Front lift removed. Roof box for road trips. New clutch flywheel, timing kit/pump, poly Bushed diff, new center bearing, u joints, rear main seal. Should get another 100,000 out of her at least. New alignment settings. Front camber set to 1.4 degrees negative. Rears 1 degree negative (on minimal weight, increasing as weight/passenger/fuel.

Registered
Hi, Awesome mods!
I have lifted my 2007 (See below) but I am having issues with the front end shaking , especially going up hill and turning while accelerating. The shop I go to said that I need to look for a High angle CV shaft or a cradle drop(to lower the lift bit). The problem is that by raising the vehicle(30 mm lift kit plus 235 69 16 tires) the axles are now connecting at an angle and dont have enough room.
You have any problem like this? Much appreciated. This is what my axle looks like,which looks different from yours I think.
Cylinder Auto part Font Event Fashion accessory
Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
****, this is a great looking outlander. How much trimming in the front wheel wells did you have to do to eliminate rubbing? I'm considering AT tires, but with no lift and trying to figure out how big I can go.

Hey thank you much appreciated. The tires are 245 70 16. The rims are 8 inch wide. 0 offset. The only reason I had to trim is because of the offset but I only had to trim the inner lip under the plastic trim. I removed the that area of plastic trim also. I have sealed and painted the exposed metal underneath for extra protection. I get full turn and suspension travel and I no longer have the 2 inch lift installed up front. This tire is definitely the biggest tire that can be fit on an outlander.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, Awesome mods!
I have lifted my 2007 (See below) but I am having issues with the front end shaking , especially going up hill and turning while accelerating. The shop I go to said that I need to look for a High angle CV shaft or a cradle drop(to lower the lift bit). The problem is that by raising the vehicle(30 mm lift kit plus 235 69 16 tires) the axles are now connecting at an angle and dont have enough room.
You have any problem like this? Much appreciated. This is what my axle looks like,which looks different from yours I think.
View attachment 19099 View attachment 19100
Yeah so I had kind of the same issues with the front lift. I had to use adjustable camber bolts and adjustable droplinks to get a goo alignment. But due to the lift, I replaced the control arms twice. Ball joint kept ripping. I had no problem with the drive shafts after I changed the droplinks. I made them shorter. Same for the rear. I found that by removing the front lift I still get good clearance due to the larger tires and better handling from the stock set up. I ran front lift for a year. I still have the rear lifted.

Registered
Well IrishOverlander, your pics of your excellent looking outlander inspired me and I ordered a new set of wheels and tires about a month ago and they finally arrived earlier this week. I went with Falken Wildpeaks - it was between those and the Coopers, but I found the Falkens for a much better price. I did a test mount of the wheel (with no tire) on Monday and all looked good, so got them mounted with rubber today.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The Falkens are 235/70r16 with a total diameter of 29", so slightly smaller than your Coopers (I think?). This evening I mounted the fronts to see if they would clear without trimming. I've always wanted gold or bronze wheels and went with the bronze...subjective of course, but I like 'em =D

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

But boy do I need to do some trimming! This is not quite full steering lock with the vehicle up on jack stands, and it's even tighter with weight on the wheels. I was a bit surprised, but no big deal - the angle grinder hasn't I started trimming up one side but need to do a bit more tomorrow night...it's late here. Definitely stoked with the new look!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah man, what a combo!! Those rims and tires look amazing! I didn't realise wild peaks looked so aggressive! I might get a set next time round!

Yes trimming is kind of a trial and error process.. You'll have trim quite high up into the arch so the wheel gets clearance under load while turning. I've pretty much completly flattened that inner lip in the wheel well. From bottom to the top.

Can't wait to see them all installed!

Happy to have inspired the move!

Regards

Registered
Thanks for the tip about camber bolts! I'm not planning to mess with alignment until I (maybe) put a lift in the rear, but I'll keep that in mind if/when I decide on the lift.

Ya, the Wildpeaks look pretty bada$$. Definitely more aggressive than I was expecting but I'm okay with that. The only question mark for me is how they do in the cold weather here in Canada. I may still run my winter tires in the colder months, but we'll see.

Good to hear you trimmed that whole lip too, because when I quit last night I drew a chalk line across the fender liner and I'm planning to do basically the same.

Do you have any issues with snow getting into the hole that's created after cutting all that plastic off? Or did you leave the plastic and just trim the metal?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip about camber bolts! I'm not planning to mess with alignment until I (maybe) put a lift in the rear, but I'll keep that in mind if/when I decide on the lift.

Ya, the Wildpeaks look pretty bada$$. Definitely more aggressive than I was expecting but I'm okay with that. The only question mark for me is how they do in the cold weather here in Canada. I may still run my winter tires in the colder months, but we'll see.

Good to hear you trimmed that whole lip too, because when I quit last night I drew a chalk line across the fender liner and I'm planning to do basically the same.

Do you have any issues with snow getting into the hole that's created after cutting all that plastic off? Or did you leave the plastic and just trim the metal?
I trimmed both. I left some of the plastic there along the arches. I stuffed the hole with aluminium foil + a bit of plastic. I primered the rest of the area with a few coats. It's been roughly a year and no suspected rust yet anyway.

I intend to have it patched. One thing on my to do list along with learning to weld 馃槄

Because you have 235 tires you might get away with not needing camber bolts if you trim enough. I plan on going to 235 next also to give me a little more clearance and because I intend to lower mine next for a laugh. With the at tires and all. 馃榿

Registered
Aluminum foil! Clever!

Lowered with giant AT tires will be a unique look for sure haha! Can't wait. And welding is awesome - I picked up a little Mig a couple years ago and it's been great to have and fun to learn. I have a project motorcycle that I've been hacking up but it's been useful for other little diy things in the shop too. Youtube is a great teacher, although I still wouldn't weld anything that my life depended on...

I'll post up some pics later this evening if I get the trimming done after work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aluminum foil! Clever!

Lowered with giant AT tires will be a unique look for sure haha! Can't wait. And welding is awesome - I picked up a little Mig a couple years ago and it's been great to have and fun to learn. I have a project motorcycle that I've been hacking up but it's been useful for other little diy things in the shop too. Youtube is a great teacher, although I still wouldn't weld anything that my life depended on...

I'll post up some pics later this evening if I get the trimming done after work.
Awesome, I am looking forward to seeing it. Such a great wheel and tire combo.

Think I'll make an attempt to lower it tonight. Now that I am in the mood 馃槀 probably the wrong time of year but sure that's the wagon life.

Keep me posted!
Water Line Motor vehicle Font Gas

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Sky

1 - 19 of 19 Posts