Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have a 1995 galant es with auto tranny, i've read alot of different places on-line, about people having problems with there overdrive and how it wont shift higher than 40 mph with o/d on and it feels like its going into nuetral. but none say what the problem ends of being. well i had the same thing happening, for a while so i just drove around with o/d off, well the other day i was driving at around 40mph and it felt like i accidently pushed the o/d on button, so it felt like it went into nuetral, so i hit the button, and made sure it was in D, but my car just rev'd, now whatever i do my car just revs, i have no reverse or D, , linkage is connected, where my link is connected to tranny i can hear a fast click when in D, so last night i pulled the pan, i found 3 magnets with no metal shavings, but i did find, a couple little broken like saftey pins a little thicker, filter was dirty but no shavings, can any one tell me whats wrong. please before i start wasting money

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Okies i rebuild these frum time to time. If yu can load a pic here for us to see i can tell yu wut they are. The thing about the F4A23 auto transmission is that they are basically slightlly Modified F4A22 units frum earlier models. Though the 1,2 and even 3rd gears were beefed up by an additional 1 and 2 friction and 1to 2 steel plates per 1-3rd gear the 4th gear basically stayed the same as the F4A22 making it prone to wear as it needed to be able to deal with upped torqe with teh 2.4 engine. So initially the Over run clutches would wear down , causing loads of space in the 4rth gear clutch set , initially causing the drum spacing between the drums for 1-4th gear to increase, thus making the piston that compresses the friction and steel discs together to engage each gear , the piston would have to travel farther and farther each time to make each gear engage , in some cases breaking the flat roller bearing spacer that seperated each drum causing the small sorta long roller pins to fall out. And in most cases since its abouve the valve body it falls down into the tranny sump.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts