Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Lancer OZ and I want and engine swap. What is the best performance engine to go with that will bolt right on, or at least with minor modification? Ive been looking at the 4g63t, but im not sure it that will fit. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The best performance engine would be the 4g63t, however, it will require more work to get running properly.

The easiest engine to swap is the 4G64 (Galant, or Ralliart).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by mfalik@Feb 11 2008, 09:26 PM
The best performance engine would be the 4g63t, however, it will require more work to get running properly. 

The easiest engine to swap is the 4G64 (Galant, or Ralliart).
[snapback]141802[/snapback]​

Would I have to modify the engine mounts? Or would it just drop right in and I would have to just do a lot of wiring?

And what about the 4g64, would that just drop in? or would I have to alter the engine mounts as well?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=259059

Read the entire thread. It should answer all your questions on the first page.

Also, one things I noticed about the swap:

-The Ralliart Engine (2.4L with Mivec) won't work because the throttle is drive-by wire. This means you just need to get a 2.4L from a Galant/3G Eclipse.

As far as the Evo engine swap is concerned, just find a wrecked 2G Eclipse GST (rear end damage is prefered). Take the guts from that and throw on your Lancer.

Both engine swaps will require motor mount work.

G

·
you asked what the best engine is and i'd have to say the SR20DET 4 cylinder turbo motor off of the old Skylines and Silvias, but i know you mean the Mitsubishi motors.
i got to tell you i am very impressed with the 4g64 motor i have in my 01 Eclipse its has tons of mileages and keeps on hammering away day after day.

i wish my engine would take 16-19 psi stock without doing internals, but it won't. possibly 8-10 psi, but 10 psi would most certainly fry my rings. i would still have to upgrade the fuel system and buy a fuel management system for my engine to run properly with 10 psi of boost. but the 2.0L in your car will strap right into my engine bay, so in relation it will do the same back. however your forgetting you have to also swap the ECU/ECM as well. and if your going to go through all that trouble, you might as well just turbo your motor.

doesn't your motor already have the DOHC's? why would you swap for a SOHC 2.4L? in theory you can swap a EVO head onto the 2.4Liter 4G64 engine block in the G3 eclipse, the Galants, and apparently in the Railliart Lancer, not the regular lancer ES, LS or O.Z. Rally, it will be very costly to do the swap though. in addition with the money that you would spend putting in a 4G64 with a EVO head , new timing belt, lower timing gear, and the ECU. you could easily do a internal rebuild, get a turbo, 255 fuel pump, 550 injectors, high pressure fuel rail, fuel management system, and have your ECU chipped or flashed for most likely less money with less strain of trying to get the system working properly.

car-part.com is one of my favorite places to go for used car parts so i looked up a motor out of a galant and here is the most inexpensive one i could find. its posted to run good and has only 118,982 miles on it for $300 in Tompkinsville Kentucky. i consider that very good since i have a 2.4L motor with 205,000 miles on it and the bit*h is still runnin strong. now you need to remember that these Galants are always Automatics so unless you have a automatic i suggest you look for a eclipse ECU i will list one later on.

now not to discourage you but i will take you through a generalized version of possibly what you would need to do a head swap on a 4G64 block. just in case somewhere down the road that thought pops into your head. that is if you do the 4G64 motor swap in your car and you decide you want more horsepower.

i'm not even sure that your stock fuel system with a 4G64 engine block with a EVO head would even work properly. you would probably end up buying a ECU chip or a fuel management system to get it running right anyways. thats just my opinion.

on car-part.com i found a 2003 Eclipse 4G64 engine block for $150 in Omaha Nebraska and a ecu of of a 2002 MT eclipse for $100 in Horse-Cave Kentucky, a 2003 EVO cylinder head for $175 in Muscatine Iowa. now keep in mind you have to figure in how much each will cost for shipping as well, and i'm uncertain if the 2003 is the EVO 7 or EVO 8 you can only use a EVO head from the EVO 3-7 as far as i have read from the Ryan-S post in the eclipse thread of this forum check it for a more detailed version on what meets to what and what is to be expected with it. thats just $525 just for the basic parts before shipping. you also have to buy the new timing belt and lower timing gear for the conversion.

also the new head requires a new exhaust manifold which will probably have to be customized to fit correctly. if you expect to find a non turbo exhaust manifold i'm uncertain you can. someone once said that the EVO head will meet to the stock 2.4 exhaust manifold, but you never can be sure about things like that until you come to it can you? now as far as a swap are you doing it so you can now use EVO turbo mods. well your looking into more money that you could have just spent on building up your stock engine, fuel system, and then tossing on a turbo to push over 20 PSI. but hey if you want to spend the time and money to go through all this just so you can have the extra 100-150HP on top. hey literally more power to ya.

i hope that i have helped you to make your decision a easy one.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
On the 4g63 it can withstand a lot of boost but thats depending on the turbo. Yes we had used the 4g64 engine block to do some stroker engine, with the 4g63 head. it has work well. the 4g64 is a 2.2 or 2.4 liter Vs. the 4g63 2.0 liter. Same block but taller crank throws

1 - 10 of 10 Posts