Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats a good deal but to tell you the truth when i got a aftermarket down pipe and headers it didn't do that much but can tell a little and it makes your engine bay look so much better you should enjoy them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Travis k@Apr 16 2008, 03:46 PM
Thats a good deal but to tell you the truth when i got a aftermarket down pipe and headers it didn't do that much but can tell a little and it makes your engine bay look so much better you should enjoy them.
[snapback]157377[/snapback]​
what about loudness? or your exhaust note? or your engine sound? does it sound better & louder when you revv it? do you know what im talking about lol?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW! header is FINALLY on, of course so is the downpipe.... ill get pix tomorrow. But let me tell you... it was NOT easy. I swear to god, this car did NOT want this new header. It was problem after problem after problem. Tiring as hell, it was merciless:

Ok... so we get the car on jackstands and asses the underside and figure out whet we are going to do and how we are going to go about doing this. We figure wed first remove the stock manifold, then just take off the downpipe then slap on the downpipe then new header. That was the plan.

1.) The extraction of the manifold was easy except for the far left nut... it was IMPOSSIBLE to access. The power steering belt was in the way, and there was just no room. We managed to *somehow* get a box end of an open wrench in there and then that was it. There was no way to move it, and it was just there. We ended up tieing a rope to one end of the wrench and just pulled it loose, but that was a feat in itself. The nut was on there so tight, had to get three people to just get the nut to move... then we did it by hand, 1/8 of a turn each time.

2.) we remove the three bolts that connect the bottom of the manifold to the downpipe... they were rusty, but luckily, they were easily removed, the manifold/first cat was off.

3.)we get to the downpipe... well first, we're like "ok, lets get it off the hangars"... so after 10 minutes of fighting, we finally got them off. So the pipe is hanging by that 2nd O2 sensor after the 2nd cat, but we support it with a block of wood. We look at where the downpipe ends.... it was not a pretty sight. The entire thing was just one big gob of rust. it was terrible. It looked like that exhaust had been underneath a vehicle 20 years of age. Seriously, it was bad. The nuts that we had to get off that were at the end of the downpipe practically "welded", or rusted, themselves to the rusty flanges. We attempt the two bolts with a wrench, a wrench with a longer arm, and an impact wrench... eventually we see the socket rotate... but the nut didnt move. We rounded-out each nut. We were *****. those nuts werent goin anywhere.

4.) We ended up taking a sawzall and hacking off the downpipe connected with the 2nd cat before the resonator (the first, smaller, muffler-type thing). In the process, we had to cut the O2 sensor wires so we could take it inside and remove the two sides from eachother, so we cut that, wed just re-solder it later. We took that inside, and said **** it. We ended up sawing through each bolt, right down the gasket. We went through two sawzall blades, and one [portable], bandsaw blade. took two hours to cut through these hardened bolts. Who the hell hardens a bolt on a fricking exhaust?? So ya, the saws barely cut through the thing, we actually had to take out the oxygen-acetylene welding torch and had to heat it up before any of the saws did anything. ****

5.) the downpipe was free from the second cat, finally. Then, where each stud was on the flange, we just drilled right through them. This, actually, was easy, the drill sailed right through. so we just grabbed two bolts that we were going to use to put through the cat-end to the new-downpipe-end.

6.) re-assembly of the new components goes smooth. Except that we forgot to buy a new gasket for the old cat/ new downpipe connection, but we went out and got one from advanced auto for 5 bucks. so the exhaust system is connected now.

7.) all we have to do is re-solder the O2 sensor... and well, we stripped the wires and get ready to solder...but my soldering iron, of course, wouldnt work for some reason or another... so were like ****... so we decide to just finish it at my friends house. So I get some electrical tape and just tape off the wires so they dont fly around while driving (ya, i drove w/o the O2 sensor). BUT before I could go anywhere...we had to lower the car and start her up. I go into the car, turn the key... it turns over... but for ****S SAKE it isnt FIRING!!! im like WTF!!!so i then remember.... wow... the ends of the stripped wire from the O2 sensor are touching and shorting out, since i (retardidly) taped them together just for the while, while we go to my friends house to fix this. So they were shorting out. I get underneat, and undo the tape and make sure no wires are touching... try to start it up again- nothing. by now, i have a HUGE pit in the bottom of my stomach... like i fried my ecu or something. But my friend remembers that this happened to his pontoon boat... so he said it was a fuse, luckily enough, we find a blown fuse in the fuse panel. we grab a new one, and it fires up right away, i couldnt have been more relieved in mt life. man did it sound great!

8.)we solder the O2 sensor up, that took 20 minutes, it was real simple, we tape it up good, and im ready to go give it a spin.

9.) But I drive 5 miles... the check-engine light comes on, and i believe it is because we have two black wires flipped, so we have to go back and do taht later.

10.) it is 2am here... im tired... ill do that tomorrow.

So sorry for the essay, taht was just all the crap that we went through. of course these words are NOTHING compared to the actual difficulty of the stuff that happened. But in the end, we had fun, and it works great. so ya, im happy :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts