Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear all,

i have just obtained a GDI elegance spacestar 2000 x reg on auto box.

it has a tendancy to cut out when you select drive or reverse, what could be causing this please?

if i blip the throttle enough to get it in gear and move off straight away it drives faultlessly until you come to a junction and you have to stop then the car will cut out, but starts straight away, again as soon as you put it back in to drive or reverse it cuts out. this happens when engine is hot or cold.

any ideas where to start looking for this prob???

when should the cam belt be changed ie what is the mileage or age which ever comes sooner??

regards

steve

·
Registered
499 Posts
best place to start is to clean the throttle body as they are prone to carbon build up which effects idle qualities.most times this has cured any problems re3garding idle.as for the timing belt they are due every 54,000 miles/6 years/they age seems a bit early but at the cost of an engine it never hurts to err on the side of caution

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know i am probably being daft, where would i locate the throttle body and what do i have to remove to get to it.

will carb cleaner do the job to clean it?

regards

steve

·
Registered
499 Posts
follow the intak ductwork from the air filter and it will lead you straight to it.most times it is just 4 bolts that hold it on although some have coolant hoses attached as well.if you do then simple clamp off the coolant lines before removal and you will not need to drain the entire cooling system.as for carb cleaner it depends on the brand as some will remove the coating on the throttle body unit which causes probs.which brand to use I am not sure as a mitsi tech we use the mitsi approved cleaners.having an old toothbrush works wonders as well when you are scrubbing.concentrate primarily where the throttle plate closes as the build up there restricts air flow at idle.you should find it pretty easy but just go steady.should take about an hour tops as we usually manage in 15-20min.good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts