Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried many different obdii devices with my outlander 2003 ( australia here), cant get any to connect.
I know its possible as there are
youtube videos showing russian vers1 outlander using the obdii readers off ebay etc.
I'm wondering if some wiring change needs to be made?
I have found wiring diagrams and also show what wires my car has attached, any help appreciated.
Please note that my car has extra white wire not shown in wiring dia of manuals on the 16pin obd connector.
Maybe that is my issue.
Anyone have an obd reader that works and can check what wiring they have connected on their 16pin connector?
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

·
Administrator
2021 MR Triton
703 Posts
ODB1 and 2 are not compatible. If i plug my OBD2 code reader into my old Hyundai with OBD1 the car will not start

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My attempts to connect to outlander 2003 obd port mainly for codes and live data continue.
Thus far without success, but I have been reading russian forum ( using google translator) where they have for many years been using elm327 adaptors and torque pro app, along with various other programs to read outlander 2003-2006 data.
If there is anyone out there who has successfully already done this with outlander 1 please let me know, might save a hell of alot of work.
I'll summarise some information I have got mainly from the russian forum.
1. outlander 1 used Mut 2 ( or mut-ii) protocol, this is basically mitsubishi propietry protocol
2. it appears the older elm327 devices connect more readily ( v1.5 with PIC18F25K80 chip) rather than the v2 later version.
But it can be done, seems some luck involved in getting the correct elm device that will work, the users seem to prefer bluetooth devices
3. torque pro app has a Mut2 plugin can be used with torque pro
4. tork plugin app......is a torque pro plugin that helps establish list of pids that are available for live data
5. seems mitsubishi pajero of same era also works on same system
The russian forum i put a link here to it ( via google translate puts it in english):

There is alot of technical info out there regarding mut2 etc, but I'm really just looking for connect obd read codes/clear codes, and see live data. So now I know that others have been doing it for many years it is worthwhile pursuing a bit further, I have spent quite alot of time trying to gather info but will keep posts brief as I progress.

I can confirm usa outlander 2003 has exact same obd wires, including the mystery white wire not shown on wiring diagrams. So I'm assuming just to use obd connector with wires as they are.
First experiment t was obdlink mx+ device try to connect via torque pro......no connection.
I then tried to just connect with 12v/gnd/k-line wires.....same no connection.
So I assume obdlink mx+ not suitable. I have a number of different elm devices to try, I had been hesitant as some are cheap chinese versions, and a bit worried they might damage the ecu, but will take some risk and see what happens as time permits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At this time I'm ordering a unit from canada which converts obd1 or mut2 signals to canbus ( its designed for that purpose) which seems to be a good solution, it allows common obd devices which read canbus to be used to communicate with mut2 or obd1.
Wont give any further details until it arrives and I test it.
The aim is to use this converter to connect ecu ( its designed for mut2 connection) and then use torquepro app via bluetooth obd device. Also to try Mut2 plugin with torquepro.
Basic aim is to read dtc codes/clear codes, and view live data pids.
The more I look the more I find on this issue of connecting to mitsubishi mut2 or mut3 systems, there certainly are many different solutions out there, but I want to avoid going too much down a rabbit hole of information/learning and not spend much money on it. Feeling very confident it can be done, others have done it, so I'm really just following what others have done from information they have posted on forums.
more to come later.........

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After much searching and some contact with some in the know, it appears that pin1 of the obd connector must be ground to earth for the ecu to go into communication mode, a small step for me, a giant leap for connecting to ecu!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts