Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 4 cylinder 1996 galant s from a private seller and its burning oil i believe . it has 186K miles. when the car is running and i try to pour oil into it. the air rushing out of the oil cap just blows the oil everywhere. So i have to cut the car off to add the oil. The rpms drop low when you are sitting at a stop light. it smokes but its not black smoke and not really white smoke. I dont seem to have a problem with the coolant, just the oil dissapearing. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
6 Posts
u need valve/piston/seal work. Its burning oil in the combustion chamber. My galant has 172k and does the same thing. I havent found a decent price so I guess it depends if you think its worthwile. Its an expensive procedure. I just add oil and change it constantly. hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well 1st off, you should never try to add oil while the car is running...thats just stupid for the reason you are saying....it will blow out everywhere. Second these cars are notorious for burning off oil, use thicker oil and see if it is still burning it off and go from there. You may need new seals...but the other stuff might be needed, although if you get new seals you might as well change the other stuff Guy mentioned. Also check to see if you have any leaks anywhere...check around the oil pan for any oil discharges. Good luck..and dont give up on the car...it can be a great fun car! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by evil-G-nius@Oct 2 2007, 01:23 AM
Well 1st off, you should never try to add oil while the car is running...thats just stupid for the reason you are saying....it will blow out everywhere . Second these cars are notorious for burning off oil, use thicker oil and see if it is still burning it off and go from there. You may need new seals...but the other stuff might be needed, although if you get new seals you might as well change the other stuff Guy mentioned. Also check to see if you have any leaks anywhere...check around the oil pan for any oil discharges. Good luck..and dont give up on the car...it can be a great fun car! :thumbsup:
[snapback]114605[/snapback]​

BINGO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts