Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 89 Dodge Colt. I was wondering if anyone might know if it was easy to replace the oil filter seal. I seem to have a small leak around there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try backing off the filter a bit (don't lift off base) and retightening, if that doesn't work, the filter must be replaced (remember to oil the seal on the new filter). Oil leaks can be tricky, though, are you sure it is coming from there? Other possibilties are the front crank seal, the oil pump-to-block gasket (your filter is actually mounted on this pump body, not the block), the cam seal or even the distributor O-ring seal. These could all produce oil collecting around the area of the filter base.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I replaced the Oil Filter. Oil pan Gasket And Valve Cover Gasket. The Leaks Have reduced alot. But there is still oil spot after I driver the car and stop it. The Leak ends in the oil filter. When I went on a road trip I lost oil and I Found oil has shot its way to steering. I'm wondering what can be make the oil shoot so far. There is a good distance bitween the steering and the engine. Still curius to find where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oil under pressure, not just seepage, can squirt far. In you place, I'd remove the new oil filter and check the machined area that the filter gasket sits against for any damage or a piece of old gasket that remained stuck on.
FWIW
YMMV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts