Mitsubishi Forums banner

Opinions on cvt noise

1256 Views 14 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  badasspappy
Hello everyone i got this issue this time with my cvt.
When moving from 0 to 15 mph cvt makes a noise i cant described but maybe grouwl i can hear it more if i depress the gas pedal.
But after 15mph the noise goes away and cvt if pretty quiet driving after 15mph and shift and run perfect.
Maybe a wheel bearing?i replaced the cvt fluid twice because it was really bad dark brown only way to tell is brown is if you shine a light to it.the curious part it that noise was not heard before oil change.any help to pinpoint what could it be the issue or if is normal since i havent find any post with the same noise.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
What oil did you use to refill the CVT?
What oil did you use to refill the CVT?
Temporary valvoline cvt synthetic i will replace it the 3 time but with eneos
What colour is the oil?
What colour is the oil?
Semi-transparent like super light green maybe
And you said the old oil was brown, maybe it had previously been filled with incorrect oil? without hearing the noise it is hard to guess
And you said the old oil was brown, maybe it had previously been filled with incorrect oil? without hearing the noise it is hard to guess
Ok i will be replacing the oil twice again eneos is ok?is a little cheaper than mitsubishi
Ok i will be replacing the oil twice again eneos is ok?is a little cheaper than mitsubishi
I have never heard of Eneos
Is an alternative that most users on nissan forum recommend for oem nissan fluid.
Since what i read is true that mitsubishi cvts are the same as nissan both uses the same cvt that's why i ask first if is ok that oil this is my first car with cvt and on the internet people makes it look that this type of transmission are the worst to have on a car.
They do have problems, but the ones i have seen have either been fixed under warranty due to a manufacturing defect, or the problem was caused by mechanics putting the wrong oil in the trans, which is why i asked about the colour.

If the oil has any red in it it is likely contaminated by the incorrect oil. As the correct oil being green/blue will not go red, but rather dirty brown with severe overheating
When moving from 0 to 15 mph cvt makes a noise i cant described but maybe grouwl i can hear it more if i depress the gas pedal.
But after 15mph the noise goes away and cvt if pretty quiet driving after 15mph and shift and run perfect.
Maybe a wheel bearing?i replaced the cvt fluid twice because it was really bad dark brown only way to tell is brown is if you shine a light to it.the curious part it that noise was not heard before oil change.any help
Maybe a wheel bearing?i replaced the cvt fluid twice because it was really bad dark brown only way to tell is brown is if you shine a light to it.the curious part it that noise was not heard before oil change.any help to pinpoint what could it be the issue or if is normal since i havent find any post with the same noise.
to pinpoint what could it be the issue or if is normal since i havent find any post with the same noise.
It may be a bearing. Does it get worse or better with turning the wheel? It may be like a stopped up catalytic converter but not likely. Maybe a throw out bearing
Hi Draco43,
Would you look at the tach when it starts making the "growl". I have a similar issue with my 2020 Outlander Sport.
At 1500 RPM's I can hear a "growl (vibration)" and can feel a vibration thru the shift lever. It is more noticeable when going up a hill, and the engine is not fully warmed up.
A Mitsubishi dealer I went to (not where I bought it) checked all fluid levels and what ever was under the car to check.
Nothing! Where I bought it, wanted $139.00 to do a diagnostic on a car that was under waranty and only a few months old. Sorry I bought there... 8-(

Let me know about the tach (around 1500 RPM).

Maybe we can get something done about this. I called Mitsubishi customer care and, I might as well of called my next door neighbor!

Thanks
bap
Hi Draco43,
Would you look at the tach when it starts making the "growl". I have a similar issue with my 2020 Outlander Sport.
At 1500 RPM's I can hear a "growl (vibration)" and can feel a vibration thru the shift lever. It is more noticeable when going up a hill, and the engine is not fully warmed up.
A Mitsubishi dealer I went to (not where I bought it) checked all fluid levels and what ever was under the car to check.
Nothing! Where I bought it, wanted $139.00 to do a diagnostic on a car that was under waranty and only a few months old. Sorry I bought there... 8-(

Let me know about the tach (around 1500 RPM).

Maybe we can get something done about this. I called Mitsubishi customer care and, I might as well of called my next door neighbor!

Thanks
bap
Sorry for the late response well mine do not vibrate at all in fact it runs fine is just the noise.it sounds more like a manual transmission on reverse. but i finally found the problem is one of the bearings inside the cvt a mechanic not from mitsubishi dealer check and point to the bearing since that mechanic shop specializes in auto trans and cvt

they will replaces the bearings because theres no other issues with my cvt is cheaper and makes sense to just fix the bearings.sorry it took this long to answer
When moving from 0 to 15 mph cvt makes a noise i cant described but maybe grouwl i can hear it more if i depress the gas pedal. Nox Vidmate VLC
maybe it had previously been filled with incorrect oil? without hearing the noise it is hard to guess
maybe it had previously been filled with incorrect oil? without hearing the noise it is hard to guess
Well 3 years later and the vibration at appx. 1500 RPM is getting worse. It vibrates less in the summer, but every year when winter comes it vibrates more than the year before. Should I go to a Nissan dealer and talk to them? Nissan owns the company (JATCO, Japan Automatic Transmission Company) that Mitsubishi uses. Seems to me that the dealers I went to are covering up the problem. One of them is where I bought it. Thanks for letting me rant... bap
1 - 15 of 15 Posts