Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is this happening. only had my 2010 model manual diesel for 5 months and have had it recovered to dealers for investigation.............Is this a known fault or am i going to fight tooth and nail to prove it a warranty fault ????????

thanks for any feedback

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
help me out a little --- are we taking, dipstick readings , a dash oil pressure guage ,

four year old Outlander -- is she running ok performance and temperature -- or a bit rough

I will assume its a oil cooled turbo

I found this information about rising oil in diesel engines from 2009 in england mainly ..seems common not just in your motor

one : when do you check the oil

two : leaking /faulty injectors - the oil is contaminated with diesel fuel in the combustion chamber - but somehow passing through the rings into the sump

three: if a oil sample test of sump oil contents ..could be done .... there may be diesel fuel or coolant contamination found

four : a general guide : how and when to read a diesel dip stick checked 3 - 5 minutes following a hot shutdown. Wipe the dipstick clean, push in and count to 10. ..Pull dipstick out, read ............level...... not cold over night says will give a false reading

Five :there is a lot of oil held in the turbo, intercooler . pipes ,.filter and top of the motor when cold it will try to drain down into the sump

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that, yes checked via dipstick. It's about 3 times higher than max Mark.
Latest thing to happen was oil level warning appeared on dash.

Can't find any mention on the Web about this fault with this engine. Tech man did hint that there was a similar known fault with the asx engine but have no idea what engine is fitted to that

4N14
Specifications
Engine type Inline 4-cylinder, DOHC 16v, MIVEC
Displacement 2.3 L (2268 cc)
Bore 86 mm
Stroke 97.6 mm
Turbocharger variable geometry turbocharger / variable diffuser, intercooler
Fuel system Common rail with piezo injectors
Peak power 130 kW (177 PS) at 3500 rpm [12]
Peak torque 380 N·m (280 lb·ft) at 2000 rpm
[/quote]

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
asx engine http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicl.../specifications

all my research guides me to think the sump oil has diesel in it

and only way to know ...is an oil contamination test ......but cant find info on the web for how this is done

for the oil light to come on and that much volume the sump........ oil is too thin

three times above max says to me engine about to have a major failure if not sorted

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE

just got car back from dealers and apparentley my ECU had the wrong mapping installed.
there was a bulletin circulated but my car seems to of slipped the net.
car remapped, engine oil and filter replaced under warranty.

fingers crossed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Italianstallion, did this solve your issue as I have the same problems with a 2011 4n14 engine in an Outlander?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you drive a lot? Short journeys cause more fuel to be used to Regen DPF. This will increase oil level. This is acceptable as long as it doesnt go above X on dipstick or cause your engine light to come on.

Also check the intercooler pipe going into the throttle body. if that has a split in it that will cause rapid increases

·
Registered
2 Posts
I rarely go on short journeys and never interupt the regen process once it starts, it's easy to spot it on the rev counter but it's pretty annoying to be on the lookout for it. If I meet heavy traffic during regen process I would have to turn around and drive at 50 or 60mph until it ends which is also pretty annoying. It's the odd occasion that the oil would rise during a regen that may have not been successful and then I would have to change the oil before it hits the X mark (oil changes could vary from 2000miles to 4500miles). The oil seems to rise during regen process only but it must be bad for the engine. It's definitely expensive on oil anyway!

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you are using the correct grade of oil then the fuel being added is not a problem. But going over the X mark is.

The idea of regen is that it needs to be done without driver input, so even if you stop or slow down the engine should make allowances for this.

There are a few causes that can cause excessive oil level. The split pipe i mentioned is one. Faulty EGR valve is another. Both of these contribute towards excessive carbon build up in the inlet manifold, which can cause blockage of the pressure sensor.

Another known problem is cracking of the exhaust manifold, around 1 of the pipes. It is around the EGR transfer port, but i am unaware of this causing excessive carbon build up. it just smells "smokey" inside the engine bay and fumes can get into the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts