Mitsubishi Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
It was an ex-Mitsubishi mechanic in his own garage that suggested it, so I agreed and he just removed it. To remove it and including repairing the damage done when it broke was approx. €2500.
Thanks for the details. I guess I need someone who really knows what they are doing, not just any mechanic. At least I have an idea of price...

Do you still have the car or have you moved on? My car is only showing signs of the issue so I have the option of part exchanging it against another car...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Dave for letting me know I have just had mine fixed and I managed to haggle on the price but if this is a manufacture fault I just hope I can get all my money back but I will keep looking into this issue as it seems that the newer cars are the ones with the problems
How did you get on? I have just been made a "goodwill" offer from Mitsubishi off £600 towards repairs that will still total £3k. Really disappointed. I spoke to customer services and they wouldn't budge. My car is 63 plate, 61k miles and FSH with the dealership. I have really looked after the car so was hoping for a bit more... I even told them that I would be trading the car in and going to a different brand if this was the company response so as not to cost me a penny. I don't expect to hear back so that may be me done with this brand costing them more money in the future. Honda here I come!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Can’t seem to find that YouTube link here !!
can you post it please,
Thanks,
Have a look at my post,
Strange noise Outlander GX4 2014 2.2 Di D
After a lot of searching on the internet ......... I've added a YouTube link in that that may be of help for this problem. There is a great deal of information and hints of how to solve this problem. Hope this is of help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
How did you get on? I have just been made a "goodwill" offer from Mitsubishi off £600 towards repairs that will still total £3k. Really disappointed. I spoke to customer services and they wouldn't budge. My car is 63 plate, 61k miles and FSH with the dealership. I have really looked after the car so was hoping for a bit more... I even told them that I would be trading the car in and going to a different brand if this was the company response so as not to cost me a penny. I don't expect to hear back so that may be me done with this brand costing them more money in the future. Honda here I come!!
Hi I haven’t got anything not even an letter or email stating they would look into my complaint I am gutted as I paid £5k for the repairs which I feel I should never of had to pay out but glad you got a good will gesture

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I haven’t got anything not even an letter or email stating they would look into my complaint I am gutted as I paid £5k for the repairs which I feel I should never of had to pay out but glad you got a good will gesture
That is a shame. They did only offer £600... I’ve sold it and bought a Honda rather than pay for the work.
I’ve heard from more than one person in the know that Mitsubishi are pulling out of Europe shortly so may not be looking to spend anything at all where they can avoid it and won’t be around to support customers in the future. Shame really, I loved the brand (had a lancer before kids) until this. I was going to upgrade to a shogun next year. Never buying this brand again now.
All the best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a look at my post,
Strange noise Outlander GX4 2014 2.2 Di D
After a lot of searching on the internet ......... I've added a YouTube link in that that may be of help for this problem. There is a great deal of information and hints of how to solve this problem. Hope this is of help!
Hi Dylan,

Ive recently had the same problem be diagnosed on my 2013 Outlander 2.2 DI D. After hearing a strange rattling sound in the engine, I went to Mitsubishi for them to listen to it. He presumed it was the balance shaft, however he had only had 1 Outlander with the same problem. So we stripped it down and found there was minimal play in the joint of the shaft going to the balance assembly. He recommended replacing it entirely to be on the safe side.. However that's going to cost around 2200€.

My question is:

Do I really need to replace all of the assembly even though we've only been able to see minimal wear on the joint?

Can the balance shaft be removed all together without causing any severe issues?

If I invest the 2200€ into replacing these parts, surely there's no guarantee it won't happen 70k Miles down the road again...?

Thanks in advance. Im happy to see that Im not alone with this Sh**!!

Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've removed the balance shaft gear and coupler as many have done and my car runs perfectly so far.
Mine is a 2011 registered
Hi there,

Im considering having mine removed. My mechanic hasn't had experience with this being done on Mitsubishi Engines and therefor can't safely assure me that it will run afterwards with no problems. How is yours running now?

Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
My friends outlander 160000km failed balanceshafts he went too polen the mechanic took away the shafts and put a new chain and shorten it but change oil every more often 10000km not 30000km it is killing the shafts.
Look at vw company loonglife service breaking motors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My friends outlander 160000km failed balanceshafts he went too polen the mechanic took away the shafts and put a new chain and shorten it but change oil every more often 10000km not 30000km it is killing the shafts.
Look at vw company loonglife service breaking motors.
My outlander is 2015 2.2did but it is 2.3 I IRL now 420000km and my shafts went splines keggs not the shafts full oil
service 1 or 2 a year

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
Thought I would just put my 2 pennies In. I too have the balance shaft issue on my Mitsy outlander 2.3 2011. I'm thinking of removing the coupler but would prefer replacement parts but it's just not worth the money on such an old car.
I would encourage all members or non members to come forward and post so we can get a real idea of how extensive this problem is.
If we can get enough people to come forward it could help in us the fight to get mitsubishi to recall and get this problem sorted once and for all.
Kind regards Sausages.

·
Administrator
2021 MR Triton
676 Posts
The numbers of vehicles that suffer with this issue is small.

Even here in Australia, where consumer laws are very powerful, they have not recalled vehicles for this fault.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi DibbyDibbyDj,

Thanks for your response. How do you know this? Do you have all the numbers from Mitsubishi.
I was thinking of putting a Freedom of Information request to Mitsubishi so as to find out the true number of those that have been repaired then there would be a definitive answer. It's not like a car manufacturer would ever advertise every time one is repaired. Quite the opposite they would keep it under wraps.
At least with a FOI request here in the UK they are legally bound to answer with a true and honest reply.

What do you think?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts