Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Anguilla BWI where there is not a single good honest mechanic.
I recently imported a 2000 Pajero IO from Japan with 26,000 miles.
The car ran great for two months and then suddenly stalled in traffic, the engine did not stop, I just could not get it to rev up beyond idle speed when I stepped on the pedal. I got someone to "reprogram" the computer and the car ran great for two weeks, then the same thing happened, the same mechanic came, "reprogramed" the computer and the car runs great. The mechainic says it is either a speed sensor or a accelerator pedal sensor.
Please help, what is going on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, You are not the only one who experienced such a problem. I own an IO in Trinidad and imported it from japan as well. Within 1 week it stalled just as you mention. It kept happening for a while, till suddenly the problem mysteriously dissapeared. I thought it was a Transmission problem, but realised that the computer on the transmission actually stores the driving habits of its previous owner. ie this is the japanese who owned it.
Try resetting the computer by removing the battery terminal a couple of times (3). Hopefully you should have no more problems! Let me know if it worked ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey am from Antigua, i own a 1998 pajero io and have experienced the same problem as u guys have
i was just checking to see if anyone had found out the exact cause of the problem and how to get it sorted out

·
Registered
32 Posts
welll sorry for come late...
i live in south america, and i own a 1999 Pajero IO Manual Transmition wich was imported from Japan. a few mounths ago, my io was having the same behavior as all you guys complain..
well.. first, is true if you remove the NEGATIVE battery terminal for above 30 segs, you basically erase all the memory that was contained in the ecu (this is the first thing recommended in the service manual). however if the problem persist, maybe is due to the battery is bad or have low power. this was my case, i replaced the 30 amps battery that came from japan with a new one 60 amps battery. after that, problem solved.
i will also suggest to remove dust and rust of the battery connectors. those can increase the resistance to the electricity.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Also while you have the battery disconnected, remove and clean all your ECU-sensor electrical connections under the hood. Mitsi cars have problems with good connectors and tend to get intermittant open circuits between the pins and sockets. Remove each connector you find and clean with electrical cleaner plus emery cloth. This will solve most of your problems.

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had exactly the same problem here in Pakistan.

The engine would run perfect but when i would switch it off and then turn on the check light would come and the car would go in a safe mode. the maximum speed was dropped to 20 km and i had to push the pedal all the way in to make it to 40 km. The mitsu dealer here hooked up the computer and it gave an error TDC 95 ETV motor. the guy said they cant fix the motor but will have to replace the entire throttle body. I couldnt locate new or used throttle body anywhere here and was told by a car scrap dealer that he would look for it in dubai or in japan for me. i waited for one month and in that period i did a dyi myself.

i would disconnect the battery and the cables going to throttle body and etv motor and would let it reset for 1 min, put all the wires back and start the engine. The car would run fine for another day or two. the only issue was that the idle would be at 1500 rpm. but given the fact that i didnt have any way out i was kind of ok with it. :)

3 days back the throttle body arrived. i have changed it and now the engine runs perfect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I have a pajero IO 2001 model. It would run good an hour then it will stop all of a sudden. But it will run again after 20 to 30 minutes. I already change the fuel filter pump. Cleaned the throttle. New batteries as well. All tuned up. Aircon fan and machine fam works well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts