Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 2006 Outlander with AWD. I occasionally go off-road in the desert. Does anyone have an idea how well the 2006 Outlander's AWD is suited for loose desert sands? Does it have limited slip differentials, traction control, or some other kind of locking that would prevent it from getting stuck in the sand?

·
Registered
132 Posts
On wikipedia you can read this:

...The four-wheel drive version uses normal ("open") differentials for the front and rear axles, with a viscous coupling unit for the center differential....

No, there is no traction control. Remember, it is more-less an road-use SUV with ability to enter easy-terrain roads. Definitelly not an offroader. For driving on non--pavement road it is great. But not for sand dunes....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had limited sand experience with My 06 Outlander, but without TCS there to get in the way it is a blast on loose dirt and gravel, and pretty sturdy off road if you get the right tires fitted and watch you angles. Its not like taking a range rover or a Bowler to the dunes, but I think that if you use your head, and don't mind having to give a few areas more than one try before getting through, it would be okay. The center diff is permanently locked, and the front and rears, though open, are well balanced in my experience. Also, 1st gear in Sport mode is quite a good stand in for a real low-range, and the engine is aggressive with engine breaking. I'd say, properly prepped and with a good driver, it is good for light to moderate offroading.

If you want a mitsubishi that really works offroad though, you should try a Montero, they have center and rear diff locks, a limited slip rear, and better suspension, ground clearance, power, and track for offroading.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Close to home we have a 18 Kms sand dune. I tried my outie last summer and I passed a few stuck Toyotas and a few Jeeps to make it to the Lighthouse no problems. I find it is as good in sand as in snow. Not being to heavy helps. But you have to avoid having diagonal front rear wheels up at same time so you really have to watch your approach to upcoming terrain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts