Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a car going into the 24hrs of lemons and a friend of mine is a painter (canvas, brush type painter) and we want to paint a picture on hood of the car. Since I want to keep the hood after, the question is, if she painted it with acrylic paint and then we cleared over it would fade at the rate of standard acrylic car paint? Other method/ suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gut feeling is integrity of the underlying paint will be much less than the average auto paint.
I'd snaffle another bonnet, get that done as per your plans and when the event is over,keep and hang the art work bonnet somewhere inside and refit the original one back to car.Just swap the bonnets around on special occasions.
The idea is good (in theory) but I don't think in real terms you can get canvas paint stuff adequately protected.Incompatibility and UV would probably kill the artwork quickly.
You could ask around at street art forums what paint combo 'may' work (best) , but I still think the lifespan will be compromised.
Not all acrylics are equal, and auto acrylic does not like being applied too thick.It crazes,lifts and cracks.

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
UV specific clear coat should protect the paint underneath from UV damage. Quite often it is found in small spray cans as part of quality headlight re-finishing kits (wet sand -> clear coat kits) but you would need a larger amount than that. Would need to find a better source locally for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts