Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 galant. i bought it used. there is a problem that i dont know what it is! when i go through a small pot hole or a minor bump the rear end of the car shakes left to right like as if it is sitting on an untightened bar that the body shakes left to right (almost a jerky slap of the fishtail) Does anyone know what that is?! PLease help! also the car when driving to work this morning it was a little wet and rainy the rear end was swaying left to right lilke a fish tail slowly but steadily. freaked me out! please help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The exact same thing happens to me, and I own a 2002 Galant. I'm not sure what it could be. I'm thinking its either bad tires (little to no grip) or the rear end is just really, really light. I'm replacing my tires soon since they are really worn out, and I have 4 bags of sand in the trunk to help with the slippery roads here in Indiana right now. Unfortunately, even with the weight, it still does the brief shake/jolt/waggle when I go over bumps or pot holes. What shape are your rear tires in?

Does anyone have an answer to this mystery???

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a '94 Galant which may have a different rear setup but I had the same problem. The upper outer control arm bushes had completely gone on the rear suspension and in the wet the back end would just let go so i replaced those and no more fish tailing. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with Galant_Aussie, also check your rear lower strut bar, it may have come lose or bent. Just get one off ebay and replace it, should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello again-

So I figured out what my problem was... my car had never been aligned during the life of the car before I purchased it used. So, I got the tires aligned and any side movement stopped when i'd go over bumps and manhole covers, etc. And, snow traction has improved greatly!

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
It would if the car had maybe been in a rear in accident or rear side. Or if the rear toe had been adjusted. This would cause for the car to shimmy or seem loose ended rear wise when going over bumps or holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts