Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought i had found a thread about this earlier but now i can't seem to locate it again, so forgive me if it's a double post.

has anyone done a rear view camera system on their 4G eclipse ? the rear view is probably one of the worst of any car i have ever driven, and i HATE backing my car. i just bought an aftermarket video head unit that has an input for a rear view camera, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a brand/model of camera and any tips on installation/routing of wiring, etc.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Just grab a small camera and mount it next to your tagplate and connect the output to the input on your HU and connect power to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well sure, buy a camera and install it. i was looking for a little more specific info, such as where i access the wire for the reverse light circuit. should i tap the camera power right off the harness going to the light itself, or is it better to take it off the switch in the gearbox and connect the head unit and cam on a single wire?

also, if anyone knows where the switch is at it will save me a lot of time. i have an '06 GT 6 speed. i'm assuming it's somewhere underneath the shift knob, but that's just a total guess. my head unit has logic built in so that as soon as you shift into "R" the screen goes into rear view cam mode, so it seems to me it would be easier to route the power and video all the way up front together and tap the head unit and cam right at the switch... or at least near it. i'm pretty handy with wiring issues, i just don't know the location of the switch. admittedly i haven't looked yet, i'm posting from work and just trying to get a head start.

thanks in advance for anyone that can give me a little info here.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The camera requires VERY little power - so you can tap into the wire going to the actual reverse lights. When those receive power, so will the camera. Video OUT from cam into Video IN for HU.

Otherwise, run both power/video to the HU and wire accordingly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts