Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

I need to replace Rocker Cover Gasket for my 2014 Outlander ZJ auto--4j11 engine.
Any ideas on how to replace it? What is the torque specs for all the bolts? What is the order to loose and tighten the bolts?
Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
265 Posts
Remove engine cover. Remove 4 10mm (8nm) bolts holding on coils and disconnect coils. Remove both breather pipes from cover. undo 3 12mm (12nm) bolts from black bracket near Mivec actuator. Undo 3 12mm (20nm) bolts that bolt mivec actuator bracket to head.No need to unplug actuator, just leave it connected and swivel away from cover. Then remove the cam cover bolts (5.5nm) and lift up the cover squarely. The spark plug tube seals are part of the cover, so DO NOT try to remove these.

When the cover is off, make note of the position of the MIVEC actuator drive for alignment when refitting actuator. there is no reset procedure for this afterwards, it works its own position out. If you do move it by mistake, thats fine, just dont wind it in or out all the way, it might stick.

there is no tightening procedure for the cover bolts, just use the torque figure above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mate:

Thank you so much for such detailed procedure for this job. I will follow this and have a go. 😅

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove engine cover. Remove 4 10mm (8nm) bolts holding on coils and disconnect coils. Remove both breather pipes from cover. undo 3 12mm (12nm) bolts from black bracket near Mivec actuator. Undo 3 12mm (20nm) bolts that bolt mivec actuator bracket to head.No need to unplug actuator, just leave it connected and swivel away from cover. Then remove the cam cover bolts (5.5nm) and lift up the cover squarely. The spark plug tube seals are part of the cover, so DO NOT try to remove these.

When the cover is off, make note of the position of the MIVEC actuator drive for alignment when refitting actuator. there is no reset procedure for this afterwards, it works its own position out. If you do move it by mistake, thats fine, just dont wind it in or out all the way, it might stick.

there is no tightening procedure for the cover bolts, just use the torque figure above.

Thanks for your reply.
When installing it back, Do I need some Gasket Maker to glue it?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
265 Posts
Just in the corners of the camshaft bearing, and at the joint between block and timing cover, just like the factory put on

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just in the corners of the camshaft bearing, and at the joint between block and timing cover, just like the factory put on
Thanks again.

I also wonder if i could use degreaser to clean the inside of the engine once I removed the cover. I am thinking to

Frist, drain the old engine oil
Second, remove the Rocker Cover
Third, Using degreaser to clean the inside of the engine and cover.
Fourth, replace the gasket and put cover back.
Fifth, fill the new engine oil (I am also thinking to use ATF fluid to flash the engine first before fill the new engine oil. Do you recommend that?

Really appreciate your help again.

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
265 Posts
NO!!!!!!!

Only on inside of cover, but to be honest be careful. I only use mild solvent and water to clean covers i do.

Never try to use degreaser on inside of engine. you will possibly damage seals and thin out engine oil. If it gets in oil pump, pump could run dry. I dont even suggest people using engine flushes. I have seen engines lose oil pressure after flushing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NO!!!!!!!

Only on inside of cover, but to be honest be careful. I only use mild solvent and water to clean covers i do.

Never try to use degreaser on inside of engine. you will possibly damage seals and thin out engine oil. If it gets in oil pump, pump could run dry. I dont even suggest people using engine flushes. I have seen engines lose oil pressure after flushing
Really appreciate your professional advice on this job. I did learn a lot from you. I will take your steps to clean carefully.

Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts