Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently bought a car off someone and the key battery was dead, so I replaced it. I also had to solder in a new switch, as the lovely ex-owners kept stabbing the button thinking the button wasn't working, not even checking the battery.

Now, I press the button, the key light flashes and nothing happens. Apparently I need to get it reprogrammed/paired, though Mitsubishi want $80 to do this, which is a tad steep. I've tried turning the ignition from ACC to ON 3 times within 5 seconds, I've tried going between ACC and ON with 2-3 second pauses with each time, I've tried turning it to ON so the dash lights come on and pressing the "lock" button on the key (as suggested by my local dealer), though nothing happens.

I can't think of anything to get my car into programming mode apart from jumping pins 1 and 4 on the data port, though I heard this is ONLY for models 1995/6 and later, so I don't want to ruin anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I do like the remote entry/locking feature.

Regards,

Daniel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok,

I managed to fiond hte proper workshop manual and it said for the second gen mitsubishis, you need to take out the glovebox, remove the left hand cowl trim and find the ECU (page 1136 or something of the manual). After you find it, flick the switch to "SET I"o or "SET II", then press the remote button (preferably within 100mm of the lock) and after that flick the switch to "FIX" and you're all done.

I tried doing this yesterday, though I have no idea wha the cowl trim is (I assume it's the plastic bracket on the left as that's stopping me from getting to my ECU, however this looks like it's attached to the entire dash and hte manual says "remove left cowl trim retaining screw. Remove left cowl trim", so it sounds a lot easier. I'm off to the wreckers today to rip one apart and see how I go, though any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I get this all working, I'll put screenshots of the manual and stuff on here for you :)

Daniel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I managed to get the glovebox out (obviously, that's pretty **** easy) and removed two bolts on the bottom of the ECU bracket. According to the manual though, there should be two clips which allow you to remove the ECU by angling it then sliding it down, though I had no such luck in doing this.

There is another bolt on top of the bracket which looks like you need a special type of socket set to get out, would look like this side on: ----_- (with the right hand side being the socket part), though the screw/nut is pretty long, so I'm not entirely sure what the go is.

I was still unable to find anything about removing this cowl trim thing, though even if you did remove the entire dash and instrument panel, it wouldn't make too much difference from what I found. Looks like I'm back to square one.

If anyone could help or has any ideas, that would be awesome.

Here are the screenshots from the manual for everyone (hope they help). I didn't take any photos of the car, I should have to make it easier for everyone to understand where I'm coming from. Sorry about the poor quality, I'm at work, not home and the monitor here is pretty small, so I've had to zoom out in the pdf viewier then screenshot it that way.

Daniel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks heaps :)

I have spent a LONG time looking into this, I hope someone else finds it useful. NOTE, this is for SECOND generation models, not third where you click the ignition multiple times or jump the DLC pins. I'll keep this post updated once I eventually get the ECU out safely and may even take photo's explaining how to do it, in case people want them later

·
Registered
05/97 verada sedan ei might aswell call it 98
10 Posts
Please continue post, i have 05/97 verada sedan that wont let me pair, only tried one type of remote so far budget is restricting a conclusion as yet still not a bad optioned vehicle for the $750 i paid and have spent $750 to keep going so far i have a couple of other posts thanks for your time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts